Less Salty Take-out Food in the Greater Toronto Area

Please add any suggestions.

I have been having trouble dealing with salt after some take-out meals lately.

I’ve been ordering burgers without condiments to cut back.

So far, Happy Burger without condiments or cheese seems less salty than Rudy or Harry’s.
Hawk and Chick karaage bento was way too salty for me.

Thanks for any ideas.

1 Like

both Aloette Go and Rudy’s fries were waay too salty, and I’m a salt monster. The burgers were fine salt wise, but if I go back I’ll be ordering the fries sans salt. I think yer gonna have a hard time finding “less salty” takeout unless you specifically ask for less salt. That’s why I cook at home more often, so I can control the salt.

2 Likes

That’s what I figured.

I cook around 27 nights a month, and have some life crap going on. I need take-out or prepared in advance food a couple nights next week.

I spent an hour looking at menus at Le Baratin, Enoteca Sociale, Milou, going “too salty, too salty, probably salty” .

I’ll probably just cook in advance.

Last night I bought cooked ribs from Cumbraes , which were probably lower salt than a steak frites or quarter chicken dinner would have been .

I found Rudy’s burger saltier than Happy Burger’s burger.

2 Likes

I think it will be tough to find take out food that is low in salt, unless you ask them to not add it to a dish where it is the finishing touch. Fries maybe, because they often get salted after frying.

1 Like

You’ll have better luck with items made to order, ask for reduced salt if possible, rather than premade foods like soups/stews/braises etc. I usually do takeaway a couple nights/days a week, even a retired chef gets sick of cooking and cleaning :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks @DrJohn and @PedroPero . I’ll probably just batch cook in advance.

If I find some less salty take-out food I’ll post about it here.

2 Likes

You know, one of my go-tos for takeout before it closed was Urban Herbivore. It was one of those places where the flavors of the natural ingredients really shined without massively adding sugar and salt. I’ve no clue why they closed (perhaps it was the Eaton Centre expansion), but I’ve not found a suitable replacement since. Veggie D’light comes close but they definitely use more salt the Urban Herbivore.

2 Likes

Thanks!
I walk past Veggie D’Light frequently. I haven’t tried it.

I remember Urban Herbivore, but I think I only visited once or twice.

Also choose meals that do not contain processed meats such as sausage, bacon or ham. They contain a lot of salt.

1 Like