Lentils!!!

Great book! Not sure if I’ve made the Faki - will check my notes. I’m sure it’s delicious though, haven’t had a failure yet from that book.

1 Like

St John, a top restaurant in London, UK, posted this lentil recipe on Instagram today.

3 Likes

Prima! So happy to see you back posting! If you haven’t had lentils with fennel, I can assure you, it’s a heavenly combination! We made a recipe from the cookbook, Ikaria, a few months ago, with similar ingredients, and it was delicious! I’ll post it later.

BTW, will you be celebrating Greek Easter this Sunday?

2 Likes

Thank you for this! I’m crushing on lentils at the moment. I also take note that Fergus Henderson of St. John has a new (to me) cookbook that I now want to check out.

2 Likes

A modest handful of garlic cloves! I love that measurement.

2 Likes

Hi Lambchop, I celebrate both Easters, so, yes!
These are my tsoureki buns from last Sunday.

Hope you and your family have a very Happy Easter!

5 Likes

Thanks @Phoenikia, we celebrated last Sunday as well. The muffins look delicious, and something I’d like to try. How essential do you think mastic is to the recipe? I don’t have any, nor the time to order some. In fact I’ve only chewed mastic gum as far as I know - can’t say I really liked it either. I do have whole mahleb however.

They will still turn out nice if you use mahleb without mastic. The mastic adds a nice fragrance which is distinctive.
Have you tried Flaounes, the savoury Cypriot cheese pie that’s made at Easter? I have been looking at recipes this week. I hadn’t heard of them before this year.

1 Like

Flaounes were a technical challenge on British Baking Show … season 3, episode 6 on Netflix if you want to watch for tips.

1 Like

I made a version of these Austrian lentils, with capers, onion, garlic and wine. I used ham instead of bacon.
https://www.strudelandschnitzel.com/lentils-with-bacon/

4 Likes

That’s my kind of fall dish!

1 Like

I bet you used more than 1 tsp of capers with a pound of lentils. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@GretchenS
I did, lol. I use recipes as inspiration. I’ve been saving paper not printing them out, so I glance at my smartphone for the ingredients, put the phone down, wash my hands ( :laughing:) then go from there.

I didn’t weigh my lentils- I am guessing I cooked around 2 cups of dried lentils (what was left in the bag) , and used closer to a tbsp of capers. I was trying to finish what was left in the jar.

2 Likes

I made this lentil dish tonight, to go with confit duck , they went well together.
https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/celeriac-and-lentils-with-hazelnuts-and-mint

5 Likes

That dish looks really tasty. Thanks for the link.

1 Like

We are so on the same page with the recipes. I look at them for basic concepts and inspiration and then wing it from there

1 Like

My lucky Hungarian New Year’s lentils

I cobbled together a few recipes. Mine had 1 cup lentils, 2 tbsp duck fat to sauté the veg, 2 stalks celery, 1 clove garlic, half an onion , 1 tsp sweet paprika, half a cup pinot grigio, 2 cups diced canned tomatoes, half tsp dried marjoram, 3 bay leaves, 2 tsp vinegar, a tsp or 2 of sugar and a few grinds of black pepper.

4 Likes
1 Like

This recipe with lentils, farro and feta, from Feb 14, 2021 NYT looks good.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, that sounds terrific. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

1 Like