What are you baking? APRIL 2023

Those look beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you! They’re really good. I’m liking this recipe quite a bit as a jumping off point.

1 Like

That cookbook is at my mother’s house so I haven’t got it! I actually wanted to make the one from the yellow Gourmet cookbook (which uses milk instead of coconut milk), but didn’t check and parbaked my crust. So I hunted around for another recipe and found the Redpath one. The custard was made on the stovetop and had coconut milk, milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla. No coconut in the filling, only on top of the whipped cream. The Serious Eats one posted looks pretty close!

2 Likes

I gave my daughter one of the loaves and she made garlic bread toast in her air fryer.

7 Likes

Is is possible to get a link to the almond cake? Google brings me nowhere.

thank you!

I don’t bake too often these days. I made these mini Tsoureki on Greek Easter. I think my scale isn’t accurate anymore. I did balance it after each measure. There was too much flour in the dough. The same recipe had worked well in 2020 and 2021

I added a second egg to help the dough

come together. It rose well, but when I braided the buns and let them rise another hour or so, then put them in the muffin tins, and baked them, they came out too dense. They needed more time to rise after the braiding, and I think I will weigh each before placing them in a tin next time. I probably should have had half as much dough in each tin, to give them more space to expand.

The flavour was good, they were just heavy.

6 Likes

It used to be on Serious Eats, but annoyingly they scrapped a lot of great recipes. I use the Wayback Machine normally, but found this site:

I grate the almond paste on the large holes of a box grater if I don’t feel like taking out the food processor. It’s quick and easy with frozen almond paste.
I like to cut the sugar down to 115 g, especially if filling with the jam, but it’s not absolutely necessary. And for the salt I like 3/4 tsp if it’s Diamond Crystal.

1 Like

I was flattered to read that I had something to so with your scone making… I decided to limit my cheesy baking to cookies and made Dorie’s smoky cheese cocktail cookies for a coffee hour. What a huge hit and now I am delegated with coffee hour next week!

6 Likes

Congrats on the win! Now I have to go check out that cocktail cookie recipe. :yum:

ETA: Found the recipe here

2 Likes

The recipe says to roll out, place in freezer, then stamp out crackers. Wouldn’t it be easier to roll, freeze then slice off cracker slices?

1 Like

You absolutely can do them slice-and-bake style. The recipe works the same way as her cheez-it-ish crackers from Around My French Table, where she gives that as a sidebar option and I’ve done it that way.

2 Likes

I went with roll and stamp for presentation
If I made them for us I would still roll but I would use my pizza cutter and make free style cookies

1 Like

A small and simple 6” cake, a bit of a cobbled together one at that. White Lily Self Rising flour and almond meal, a little sour cream that I was using up. Crumb was fine textured and tender, and my favorite go to chocolate frosting by RLB, her sour cream/chocolate, was perfect for the cake.
I had some chocolate feuilletine that I swiped across the bottom of the cake and a few flakes for the top added some crunch which gave the cake a little more interest and was a nice change from sliced almonds.

14 Likes

Beautiful, and sounds delicious!

1 Like

Thanks! It kept well overnight and a slice was very good this afternoon. Have you ever made RLB sour cream /chocolate frosting…so simple and so good.

I have not – I usually just default to ganache, but now I will have to try it!

340g chocolate in the 62% range
400g room temperature sour cream
I usually put the bowl with the sour cream in the warm but not hot oven.
Melt chocolate in micro, mix with sour cream until blended, I add a squirt of Lyles.
1/6 makes “just enough” for a 6” cake.
I’m stingy with frosting as it’s not my jam :joy:

6 Likes

Apple-bacon pizza for brunch, inspired by @Phoenikia’s post on the Non-Italian Pizza thread.

Details on the bake here.

12 Likes

Looks wonderful and that sounds like a great combination! Yum!

2 Likes

Milk Chocolate Caramel Sheet Cake recipe from One Tin Bakes. A birthday cake for my son. The cake is a very light moist chocolate cake which has sour cream and a bit of oil and not sweet.

The milk chocolate salted caramel ganache is to die for but took about 3 hrs to set. I think a little bit more butter would help. Then the cake is sprinkled with peanuts which I roasted and chopped and a sprinkle od cocoa nips which gave a nice little crunch. Enjoyed by family.

13 Likes