Leftover ham ideas?

Before Smithfield stopped making Country Ham you could get it at 99 Ranch and may be other Chinese Grocers.
I haven’t looked into it lately but perhaps they have started importing some that could be a good substitute.
Traditional Country Hams are available online.

2 Likes

Oh Yeah,
Creamed Ham(much like Creamed chipped Beef) is a good use for left overs.
Works over Biscuits, Grits, Toast etc…

1 Like

I used to get Missouri hams along with BBQ sauce and other assorted goodies (povitica!) from my as sister in KC, but she passed away last year, so no more.

3 Likes

I’ve mostly seen it in the context of uni/sake shots, because it is somewhat more aesthetically pleasing than using regular shoyu.

1 Like

Fried rice

I thought it was one person and a ham. :joy:

1 Like

Freezer purged sliced ham fried for breakfast yesterday.

4 Likes

Question for the ham freezers: how do you wrap it so it doesn’t get freezer burn?

I’ve found (thinly) sliced ham to be more susceptible than most things.

1 Like

Vacuum pack? (I don’t have a sealer) Anywhere the O2 could be or ice crystals could develop leads to more chance of freezer burn, I think.

2 Likes

I don’t either. Hence the question.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes

My question was for the people on this thread who regularly freeze their excess Easter ham, as to what has worked for them.

1 Like

I just use ziploc freezer bags… All good.

I do try to squeeze as much air out, as possible when I seal them, but they work just fine.

Edited to add: I do divide my leftover ham into 2 person portions in a quart bag. That way… I can defrost just enough ham for dinner for Sunshine & I. The rest can stay in the separate freezer bags in the freezer for a later date. I put up 4 freezer bags from this year’s Easter Ham. So (over the next few months) I’ll do two mini-Easter dinners, another Ham & Onion quiche and a Pineapple and Ham pizza.

8 Likes

I think ahead and proceed accordingly. If I anticipate using it fairly soon, I’ll just drop chunks of ham into zip top bags, on the notion that freezer burn won’t be a problem in the anticipated use timeframe. If, OTOH, I have no idea when I might use it, or there’s too much to use in the next 3-4 weeks, I’ll vacuum seal (again, in chunks) to freeze, and try to remember that I have frozen ham within the next 8-20 months. Any ham that’s sliced or in random bits and bobs goes into a small (quart or sandwich) bag in the fridge for snacking. We do a lot of snacking at the ricepad pad - Mrs. ricepad will break out a sleeve of crackers and make a nibbling lunch out of leftover ham and/or cheese with the crackers.

8 Likes

Wrap tightly in a layer of tin foil, then double-bag in freezer zip-locs. I re-use the zip-locs.

2 Likes

It’s not a perfect solution, but I triple wrap:

1. cling film (if it is something thin, like Canadian bacon, then each layer gets its own wrap)
  2. foil
  3. freezer type ziploc with all the air squoze out (as much as possible)

Then label and date it. Seems to work ok.

5 Likes

Cling wrap, then foil.

5 Likes

Including some glaze in each quart ziplock packet of 2-4 thicker (1/4 inch) slices works well for me. Longest duration storage was about 1.5 cups of 1/2 inch diced ham that was in a ziplock with all air squeezed out - still good at 11 months, used in scallop potatoes.

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss. :confused:

1 Like