Leftover ham ideas?

That was pretty much the recipe I got the idea from but used what I had on hand.

3 Likes

On the other hand, I was just eating an excellent jambon beurre. The leftover ham may not make it to the freezer!

2 Likes

I approve!!

I remember my first jambon beurre … not in France (although I’d been there) but in an outpost of Café La Rouche, the original of which was in Georgetown (the outpost was in a now-demolished “upscale” shopping mall in Bethesda. I was there with my Mom). One bite and I swore I’d died and gone to heaven. It was probably in the 1970s, so it was still pretty exotic for local fare.

6 Likes

Navy beans and pinto beans, always!
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not for the meat itself, but I threw the bone in the Instant Pot today, covered with water, and made stock. I used a few cups of it in the chicken ramen I made for dinner - the extra gelatin and smoky flavor really worked.

4 Likes

Hot ham & Swiss sandwiches - recipe posted on HO here

Heat with BBQ sauce, serve over cheesy grits, recipe for the grits at Budget Bytes

Ham Balls - see the variations at the foot of the recipe page - can change up crackers, use bread, omit the beef, make brown sugar sauce instead of tomato…

4 Likes

Just for the heck if it, last night I cut some of the ham into small strips and added them to some ramen-style noodles with some green onions and a spicy-ish sauce. Not the best result but it was OK and got rid of the last of the ham I hadn’t frozen.

5 Likes

Another idea, for the future

2 Likes

Beats the heck out of SPAM fried rice. that commercial kinda grosses me out.

2 Likes

It was Café La Ruche (beehive) not Rouche. Sorry.

For those with leftover country ham:

5 Likes

I’ve never heard of white soy sauce. Interesting.

I’ve also never seen any real country ham here in the west.
No one really seems to know what I’m talking about.
:frowning:

2 Likes

Before Smithfield stopped making Country Ham you could get it at 99 Ranch and may be other Chinese Grocers.
I haven’t looked into it lately but perhaps they have started importing some that could be a good substitute.
Traditional Country Hams are available online.

2 Likes

Oh Yeah,
Creamed Ham(much like Creamed chipped Beef) is a good use for left overs.
Works over Biscuits, Grits, Toast etc…

1 Like

I used to get Missouri hams along with BBQ sauce and other assorted goodies (povitica!) from my as sister in KC, but she passed away last year, so no more.

3 Likes

I’ve mostly seen it in the context of uni/sake shots, because it is somewhat more aesthetically pleasing than using regular shoyu.

1 Like

Fried rice

I thought it was one person and a ham. :joy:

1 Like

Freezer purged sliced ham fried for breakfast yesterday.

4 Likes