Lao Gan Ma - Crispy Chilli in Oil

I love savory yogurt so this sounds awesome to me. Tapenade and chopped walnuts on plain Greek yogurt is one of my faves.

2 Likes
1 Like

I must try this, hadnā€™t occurred to me before!

1 Like

The Fly by is our fave of all. Deep, luscious, and tangy.

1 Like

We just opened our second jar last night!

1 Like

Whoa. I wonder how that would be with potato pierogiā€¦

1 Like

First tried this one about a week ago. Costco is selling 2 packs. Fly by Jing I think you meant to write. While Iā€™m not the greatest fan of grandma, finding it to taste a big musty, I found Fly to be a lot of chili oil and very little crisp. At the same time, we cracked open one called Mr. Bing that we found at the grocery. I think grandma has them both beat for flavor and texture.

1 Like

A lot of the ā€œcrispā€ sinks to the bottom. I find I need to stir it before I use it. But I only have the black bean flavor of LGM to compare it to, commercially (so, a lot of black beans bound by some chile oil). FBJ seems a similar oil to stuff ratio as when I make my own.

1 Like

Interesting. Iā€™d say my jar of Fly is 1/3 oil, at least, whereas grandma might be closer to half of that. Even when stirred. The oil rises to the top of both.

1 Like

FWIW, I love eating this with white rice. Canā€™t be healthy but its delicious. Other easy favorite is boiling up some fresh noodles (I like ramen) stir in Lao Gan Ma and top with a fried egg over easy.

3 Likes

Yup, i abbreviated it. Not as crispy but to my mind itā€™s got a deep flavorā€¦

1 Like

I was looking at squash recipes that called for chili crisp.

1 Like

If Iā€™ve already bragged, sorryā€¦I found a half dozen Fly By Jing jars for $1.99 each and bought them all!

3 Likes

Nice! Where did you find them? (I still havenā€™t tried that brand)

Itā€™s great.

I found them at a grocery outlet called Hopey here in NC.

3 Likes
2 Likes

The recipe in the beef video is on my list of things to make.

Whatā€™s an example of ā€œred fragrant chili powderā€?