Lao Gan Ma - Crispy Chilli in Oil

I make the NYT version at home on a regular basis. Having read through all the posts here just now, I’m curious about (and a fan of) MSG. When would you add it - before heating or after?

1 Like

“Dried minced onion from the supermarket spice aisle is a shortcut for the usual step of frying fresh minced onion, and it improves the crispness, too”.

Yes! I feel vindicated!

2 Likes

Yes, dried onions work great here. Just be careful and watch closely. The first time I made it I learned the dried onions can go from “crisp” to “burnt to a crisp” in the blink of an eye.

I’ve also learned that if you make a batch, and figure out only later you pulled it off a few seconds to soon and it’s not quite as crisp as you would like it, you can reheat the finished product, even with the sugar in it. A few seconds of additional simmering will crisp the whole mixture right up.

3 Likes

This is going to sound weird, and it’s probably because it is weird, but Lao Gan Ma is great as a topping on plain Greek yogurt.

2 Likes

I love savory yogurt so this sounds awesome to me. Tapenade and chopped walnuts on plain Greek yogurt is one of my faves.

2 Likes
1 Like

I must try this, hadn’t occurred to me before!

1 Like

The Fly by is our fave of all. Deep, luscious, and tangy.

1 Like

We just opened our second jar last night!

1 Like

Whoa. I wonder how that would be with potato pierogi…

1 Like

First tried this one about a week ago. Costco is selling 2 packs. Fly by Jing I think you meant to write. While I’m not the greatest fan of grandma, finding it to taste a big musty, I found Fly to be a lot of chili oil and very little crisp. At the same time, we cracked open one called Mr. Bing that we found at the grocery. I think grandma has them both beat for flavor and texture.

1 Like

A lot of the “crisp” sinks to the bottom. I find I need to stir it before I use it. But I only have the black bean flavor of LGM to compare it to, commercially (so, a lot of black beans bound by some chile oil). FBJ seems a similar oil to stuff ratio as when I make my own.

1 Like

Interesting. I’d say my jar of Fly is 1/3 oil, at least, whereas grandma might be closer to half of that. Even when stirred. The oil rises to the top of both.

1 Like

FWIW, I love eating this with white rice. Can’t be healthy but its delicious. Other easy favorite is boiling up some fresh noodles (I like ramen) stir in Lao Gan Ma and top with a fried egg over easy.

3 Likes

Yup, i abbreviated it. Not as crispy but to my mind it’s got a deep flavor…

1 Like

I was looking at squash recipes that called for chili crisp.

1 Like

If I’ve already bragged, sorry…I found a half dozen Fly By Jing jars for $1.99 each and bought them all!

3 Likes

Nice! Where did you find them? (I still haven’t tried that brand)

It’s great.

I found them at a grocery outlet called Hopey here in NC.