Ketchups and Mustards and any other condiments you love

I was just like “how did they fuc$ up ketchup SO badly?!???” Really terrible. 365 brand makes a much better one without HFC but yeah, generally i just buy the good stuff- not like it’s a major contributor to my daily intake.

1 Like

Well, they’ve got us talking about mustard. Maybe this was all marketing ploy.

3 Likes

I like Aldi’s organic.

I suspect that it may be because Gulden’s has always been associated with spicy brown, and they now want to expand the label for a variety mustard types. I’m a fan of different types/brands of mustard, but since it doesn’t keep very long I only have one bottle on hand at any given time.

1 Like

We’ve been using Uncle Dougie’s but I think they’ve changed the formula. I know when we first tried it a few years ago it had the most intense tomato taste. It tastes fine now but not as fruity as it did then. Open to suggestions.

1 Like

Here’s a new one I just ran across. Anyone tried it yet?

I’m not too picky about ketchup/catsup as I only use it for fries or meatloaf and usually dose it with some hot sauce or other.

Dukes for mayo and all kinds of mustards. My favorite is Colmans.

I also like chipotle salsa for marinades and sauces. It imparts a spicy smokiness that useful in many dishes.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen French’s ketchup of any kind before. Interesting.

1 Like

Thread drift alert! What are the differences between Best Foods/Hellman’s and Duke’s mayo? We can’t buy Duke’s on the West Coast.

I do augment selection with Kewpie which allegedly chef’s adore, perhaps because it contains MSG.

1 Like

I get it mail order directly from Saur and it’s a pretty good deal. I’ve also read so e Grocery Outlets in the Bay Area have carried them, it,but not where I live.

I think we have some Mayo threads around. I will see if I can find one.

I think it was on Chowhound.

duke’s mayo – i think i’m a convert on Chowhound

But this one is my favorite.

please join my I HATE MAYO CLUB…LOL… anyone welcome…even if you like it rop

I remember that thread. Still trying to figure out what “rop” means.

1 Like

Mayonnaise and Miracle Whip are certainly acceptable in this thread. Too late for me to amend the title.
:smiley:
Dollar Stores occasionally had little jars of Dukes but I haven’t seen any for a year at least.

2 Likes

I find that Duke’s has a smoother, creamier taste - Hellman’s is more tangy. And Dukes just began (or at least I just saw it this past weekend) advertising in the New England area. And searching their website, it’s available at Family Dollar stores near me. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I’ve purchased it online at Amazon, but I’m working on the Sir Kensington brand right now.

3 Likes

Try Red Duck, cane sugar and honey. The spicy tastes just like what my aunt used to make, best ketchup I ever had.

4 Likes

Gochujang Ketchup, BBQ Sauce and Mayo

1 Like

Yes! It was Dollar Stores, not Grocery Outlet.

I’ve had their curry ketchup, and it’s pretty decent. Different from the German variety, but still good. I’m going to have to try the spicy - it’s sold locally here.

I can’t believe this didn’t come to mind sooner, but one of my favorite condiments all-time is Ken’s Boom Boom sauce, which is a mildly spicy creamy chipotle blend.

The diner I frequent uses it on one of their sandwiches, listed as “chipotle sauce”. I never knew what exactly it was. I loved it so much, I would ask for a side of it no matter what I would order. To quote Frank’s Red Hot, “I put that shit on everything”. I didn’t even have to ask for it after a while. My hockey guys and I who would bombard the diner after games would order so much of it on the side that the waitress once brought out a whole tray full of small plastic containers stacked three high. It was funny. On another occasion, she came up to me with a brown paper bag and said, “Ssshhh! Don’t tell anyone.” It was full of chipotle sauce containers.

Then one day, I inquired about this mysterious sauce and how they make it. That is when I was informed that it was just this Ken’s concoction. Conundrum smashed. Unfortunately, it is only available in one-gallon drums through restaurant supply online (and, well, Amazon apparently). I don’t know why. I imagine it would be wildly popular if offered to us mere commonfolk in normal sized bottles. Other brands have chipotle mayo, of course, but it does not come close.

KE1936

3 Likes

I know this was an old post, but if you see this – is the Maya Kaimal similar in sweetness to German curry ketchup? I ask because I had homemade curry ketchup at a German restaurant once and loved it, but found the commercial versions far too sweet (at least the Hela brand was).

1 Like

That’s interesting. I really like Ken’s Salad Dressings.
A new quest.

1 Like

I picked up a jar of sweet pickle relish at trader Joe’s and was blown away by the difference in flavor compared to grocery store shelf sweet pickle relish. I will never go back to the standards like vlasic.

5 Likes