Ketchups and Mustards and any other condiments you love

Well, Vlasic pickles are objectively terrible. Almost anything would be an improvement.

1 Like

@Foodhunter, if you can find Wickles Pickles, try their relish. I got a jar for my sister and BIL, and he fell in love with it - and won’t allow anything else in their house. LOL

2 Likes

I’m in northern California I have not seen those pickles before. Has anybody tried the pickle spears in a tub in the cooler section at Costco?
As far as mustard goes I haven’t bought any in years I make my own.

1 Like

I bought the smoky yesterday as they didn’t have the spicy. As it says on the bottle “a touch of smoke”. I quite liked it.

3 Likes

I saw Wickles Pickles in the Crescent City CA Walmart yesterday.

3 Likes

From GO- $1.49
Haven’t opened it yet so can’t comment on the taste yet.
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

That looks like a nice buy at 1.49

Even if it is not good, you did not break the bank.

6 Likes

I have a feeling all these designer ketchups aren’t flying off the shelves, given how many are showing up in budgetland.

2 Likes

You could be right. That picture is definitely cool! Heinz should give you some money for that one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Found a few 9.25-oz. bottles of Kikkoman Wasabi Sauce, made in America, at my local 99 Cents Only store in California and grabbed the last few. It is now my favorite. Yes, it was 99 cents. and I use it straight, not mixed with soy sauce.

4 Likes

That is a good score. What do you put that on?

1 Like

Mosty have been putting it on canned fish (rarely get fresh fish) or curried vegetables and usually chill the tins before serving which seems to add to the flavor. Tried it on wild King salmon, Moroccan sardines, herring fillets, all boneless and skinless. I used to use Trader Joe’s Horseradish from their refrigerated deli section which was terrific but apparently TJ’s no longer carries that horseradish.

Also put the wasabi on sandwiches like a turkey sandwich yesterday, and want to try it on cheese.

1 Like

Good to know!

1 Like

I saw the non-spicy version of that Heinz Vintage at the local Albertson’s, also $1.49. I was going to buy it, but it was right at its sell-by date.

1 Like

I don’t know that I can answer since I’ve had only had currywurst in restaurants, and only when it’s part of some kind of shared wurst plate, as it’s not a favorite of mine. I’ve never bought bottled curry ketchup.

The Red Duck curry ketchup is not sweeter than regular ketchup - maybe even less so.

3 Likes

Ketchup should last a year or two past the sell by date. Once it’s opened it will last for a year if you refrigerate it, though you should include that year in the original two.

Some folks don’t refrigerate ketchup after opening. I have no idea how long it lasts that way.

5 Likes

Mayo intrigue

2 Likes

(Re French’s catsup comment above)

Pretty sure that is French’s (McCormick’s) fireback against Heinz which recently started stomping on a key part of French’s turf by bringing out a yellow mustard.

Do unto others as they do unto you. The package food wars go on.

2 Likes

One year later, and it’s still primarily ketchup and mustards here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Not mentioned yet, the condiments I’ve surprised myself at how often I use is:

Ponzu - not just for the occasional dumpling or gyoza; I use this as a straight dipping sauce for fish and other seafoods. One of my faves, is when I’m lucky enough to get an unusual cut of seafood - namely fish heads or fish collars. Grill or broil the fish part with some salt, pepper at a tiny bit of oil to get a nice char. The little bites of fish meat is great with ponzu. The citrus notes really shine in good ponzus and it’s a taste I’m finding I enjoy with a lot of foods.

Worcestershire – it’s a bit funky but it adds just the right notes of sweet, funk, tart and salty. I like it added to foods and sauces for cooking a lot, but I’ve also on occasion used it to dip things like spring rolls. Mix it with ketchup to create your own okonomiyaki sauce, or your own meatloaf / hamburg steak sauce - it’s so versatile! The low sodium is just as good for me, and saves my blood pressure.

4 Likes