Ketchups and Mustards and any other condiments you love

Spicy maple mustard sounds like a contradiction. :slight_smile:

Sweet and spicy (but not overly so on the spicy part - just a nice bit of heat). Kind of like the mix of salty/sweet.

1 Like

In case anyone doesn’t know, prepared mustard, even in unopened jars, loses its piquancy as time passes. Unless you regularly use large amounts, resist the temptation to stock up during sales or when shopping while travelling.

8 Likes

I cooked fresh Kielbasa tonight for an Easter Saturday Dinner. The links were a substantial size so I only added a head of cabbage as a go-with. We were amazed at the taste of the fresh kielbasa. To our way of thinking, smoked kielbasa cannot compete. Anyhow, saying that, to say this: plopped a healthy portion of White Castle–yup, White Castle Dusseldorf Mustard on my plate to dredge the kielbasa through. Some portions had a drag thru the mustard, others did not. Wound up to be a fun and tasty dinner.

At the end of dinner I realized that I had put out a jar of Polish Mustard, but didn’t dip in. So I slapped about a teaspoon of the stuff on my plate and lapped that up straight–no chaser. Good decision. A Hanover Hard Pretzel might have been a nice end to this dinner.

2 Likes

MAYONNAISE IS THE internet’s favorite condiment villain. The egg, oil, and vinegar emulsion is a symbol not only for blandness, but for whiteness and all its attendant cultural appropriation and entitlement. It symbolizes the whitewashing of culture. It looks like something extruded from a teenage pimple or a long festering wound. Plus, haters love to point out, it’s terrible for you. It’s all fat! And salt! And because of the eggs, it’s dangerous! If you leave a potato salad made with it out too long at your BBQ, everyone could get salmonella and then you’re literally a murderer. Do you really love mayonnaise enough to murder a Fourth of July party for it?..
continued

4 Likes

I always find mayo wars intriguing. I love, daughter hates.

businessinsider: “you like mayonnaise”

3 Likes

6 Likes

I really enjoy Pickapeppa - makes a lovely marinade for chicken and cut with oil a dressing for pasta.

2 Likes

Went out to buy some Gulden’s mustard yesterday and was dismayed to see they switched to “new look” all black packaging. The red label against a transparent bottle showing the brown mustard was an iconic look going back decades. They need to bring it back and fire somebody.

Does anybody seriously think this looks better?

https://www.guldens.com/

4 Likes

Awful!

1 Like

Truly off putting. ConAgra, no big surprise there. Also reminds me of the new packaging that contains the befouled “New Hershey’s Syrup” which is disgusting.

Really bad. But they’re obviously trying to get it to stand out on the shelves, which it does in it’s all black packaging.

1 Like

I’m going to have to out myself here. Preface: as a kid I used to HATE hot dogs, mustard, potato salad and dill pickles. Inexplicably in my 40’s I began to really like those things. I think it was the neighbors potato salad that did it. Loved it! Contained Miracle Whip, French’s Classic Yellow Mustard, and Nalley’s baby dills. So I started making potato salad with those things & even started liking hot dogs X2 a year or so.

So I absolutely love French’s Classic Yellow Mustard & the other ingredients, which must always be on hand with spares. I have always used Dijon, coarse brown, or creole mustard, etc in recipes. Mayo for sandwiches or dips tho.

Condiments I love? Too many to list, but Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce is a favorite. Also, if we’re not making our own BBQ sauce I love Kinder’s Organic from California, or Sweet Baby Ray’s. When we had friends living in Kansas City they’d send us stuff from Stillwater Smokehouse. Never was a Stacks person.

5 Likes

No I just bought some the other day , if that is any consolation?

For a year or two, I started using Trader Joe’s ketchup because it did not have high fructose corn syrup. However, it did not taste like ketchup either! So I switched back. Give me the chemicals, baby!

Currently love using Pappy’s Moonshine Madness Spicy BBQ sauce which is lethally hot and delicious. As for regular hot sauce, I enjoy plain ol’ Goya salsa picante.

Hot sauce aficionados should try Gringo Bandito hot sauce. It is organic and has a lot less sodium without sacrificing flavor.

4 Likes

Hellmann’s now has honey sweetened ketchup if you want to test the waters. I have no complaints.

3 Likes

I had this same reaction when I first tried a few non-HFCS ketchups. I found an organic version of Heinz that has no HFCS and actually found it to be pretty good, so that’s what I use now.

6 Likes

I use either the organic Heinz or Sir Kensington’s, which I just found is carried by my local Hannaford. They also carry the Sir Kensington mayo, which I’ve just started using and like. Right up there with Duke’s.

1 Like

I’ll have to keep an eye out for that. Thanks!

I just bought some the other day- they had both the black weirdo hideous new bottle and the classic design. My eyes went wide and i bought a few more than i needed of the regular one! So very wrong.

2 Likes