Japanese restaurants, bakeries, coffee shops, groceries, etc in [Toronto]

Let us know how it goes!

I don’t really spend more than $100 per person on any meals anymore, so I’ll never know!

2 Likes

I guess folks on this board generally don’t respond to questions …. And appreciate nor acknowledge restaurant tips

I posted this yesterday. Guess you did not notice?!

Exactly my point… I guess you didn’t get my snarky response

Unlike ’ chowhound ', Ontario/Toronto members on this board are sparse and few! Guess one has to get used to the occasional ’ no-response '!

1 Like

I had tried neither Shoushin nor Ramen Yutaka, so had nothing to say. I do try to respond if I have something relevant to add.

1 Like

I think it depends on whether one is interested in the threads. A handful of us post about baked goods, patios and take-out a lot.

I don’t post about other restaurants that don’t do patios or takeout because I don’t dine indoors anymore.

Hawk and Chick on Dundas West just east of Dufferin . Looks interesting, haven’t been yet.

3 Likes

Oh I forgot to add Patisserie 27 along with MonK Patisserie. MonK has been hit and miss at times. Patisserie 27 is still memorable as their croissant is very unique and dense and the freshly made mille feuille is pretty much unmatched (I have tried the Alo bar version though not Giuletta). Lots of Japanese influence at both spots

2 Likes

I tried a hot specialty coffee (Okinawa Brown Sugar Macchiato) at Hazukido on Bay yesterday. It was too sweet for me, and didn’t have enough coffee flavour, so I’ll try something else next time.

I enjoyed the coffee I had in Japan in Jan 2020. I guess Neo or Nine Tails are the better Japanese-style or inspired Cafés downtown. I find the lattes at Fuwa Fuwa and a Little Pebbles to be very sweet and very milky, without enough coffee flavour.

Croissants don’t agree with me, so I’m unlikely to try them, but I might pick some up for friends at some point. They open at 10 am.

3 Likes

Tsuchi, a vegan café
https://tsuchicafe.lightspeedordering.com/

2 Likes

Not an all Japanese bakery per se but we like Mon K when we used to live in that area. I used to walk there for our morning baguettes. During the early shutdowns, the lines were long before opening time. We actually prefer the softer texture of their baguettes to Bonjour Brioche which I also used to walk to many moons ago. Their mini slices (which changes periodically), cream puff, and chestnut “cake” were always hits when entertaining.

1 Like

Technically Japanese beef so sharing here. Eataly has 30% off A5 till tomorrow

1 Like

This new-found place is pretty decent…albeit a touch expensive." ATO Sushi, 16 Vogell (Leslie & 16th Ave), Richmond Hill " - An enjoyable lunch at a new-found, hidden, Japanese restaurant...only 5 minutes drive from home!

2 Likes

Good to hear!

Looks like AP has opened in the old Panorama space at the top of the Manulife Centre.

1 Like

Surprised nobody has mentioned Kaito on St. Clair for omakase…

2 Likes

Wasn’t on my radar! Thanks for mentioning it.

I will check out Ohiru this weekend

https://www.instagram.com/ohirucafe/

2 Likes

Tanuki now serves a weekend brunch, and omurice is on the menu.

2 Likes