Japanese restaurants, bakeries, coffee shops, groceries, etc in [Toronto]

Because we had out-of-town visitors who really wanted to go out to eat, we risked dining indoors (we wore masks, except while sipping or putting food in our mouths). Our friends were staying at the Royal York and wanted to eat Japanese, so we suggested Miku. We hadn’t dined there since pre-pandemic, but remembered enjoying it last time and particularly liking the sake selection. At the time, it emphasized Ocean Wise seafood choices, which unfortunately is no longer a feature.

The service was friendly and attentive, if not particularly well-informed about the sourcing of the seafood (they did go and find out for us though). The food itself was mainly very good - fresh, tasty, well-presented. The drinks were again a highlight.

Oishii cocktail - sake (Masumi shochu), Hayman’s sloe gin, strawberry, raspberry, saffron, strawberry basil foam - fun, like a strawberry jam cocktail

We also enjoyed a sake flight:

• Kamoizumi JDG - junmai daiginjo, Kamoizumi Hiroshima (almost herby)
  • Sanzen Omachi - junmai daiginjo, Kikuchi, Okayama (straightforward and a bit nutty)
  • Yukimegami 48 - junmai daiginjo, Dewazakura, Yamagata (light, a bit fruity)

Tsukemono (house pickled vegetables) - very sweet shallots, good cabbage, OK cucumbers, OK carrots, OK turnip. Disappointing overall, given how good Japanese pickles can be. At least they are making the effort to create their own pickles.

Kyoto saikyo miso baked sablefish, butter poached lobster, sauce américaine, ao nori pomme puree, roasted purple carrots, dashi rutabaga, tomato-red pepper gastrique. One of the best dishes - gently cooked seafood with a multitude of flavours.

Chicken nanban: chicken thigh, nanban-zu, lettuce, Asian slaw, and lemon - a bit of a mess in appearance, but the chicken was moist and tasty.

Teriyaki octopus, confit potato, roast cauliflower florets, black garlic miso, yukari cabbage chips (very fun). Overcooked octopus, without obvious teriyaki flavour. A miss.

Hotate aburi style - luscious scallops, lightly torched and accented with sesame and lemon. Good shari.

Miku roll: BC sockeye salmon, uni, crab, cucumber, rolled in tobiko, Miku sauce. Lightly torched and delicious.

Salmon oshizushi - BC sockeye (double layer) with maple and black pepper and a little jalapeno on top - fresh, lovely.
Saba oshizushi - miso on top, tangy and lemony.

Ichigo Mochi Dome: brown sugar cookie, strawberry cream inside the mochi, mashed strawberry, jasmine tea ice cream, walnut toffee (brittle in little pieces around it), and lovely strawberry powder over. A very nice mochi riff on strawberry shortcake.

Rose and plum wine on ice - pink and fragrant.

So far, haven’t come down with COVID…

3 Likes

I still haven’t tried Miku. It looks great. Maybe I’ll try some take-out next month. :slight_smile:

Miku is offering Winterlicious menus, Jan 27th- Feb 9th. https://mikutoronto.com/winterlicious23

1 Like

Is the plating sloppy or is it the flash photography? Not that it has an impact on flavour. Every Japanese restaurant I’ve been to creates beauty as a first statement of pride. The real challenge is that each piece must be edible art.

1 Like

Some of the plating looked better in-person than my crappy job with my phone camera suggests. But a number of the larger plates did look sloppy. I didn’t take photos of what our friends had, a number of which had better presentation (their sashimi plate for example). Overall, presentation was not their strength

Use night mode and avoid flash for more natural results.

1 Like

Tanuki will pack their brunch to go, as take-out. This is a place I want to visit soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnpTLlWu98d/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=

1 Like

" AKA-ONI, Izakaya & Sake Bar, Richmond Hill " - A collection of appetisers and interesting and well-priced luncheon Bento-boxes ( come with salad , miso soup, fresh fruits and ice-cream ). The latter selections, comprising of some intriguing permutation & combination of tasty dishes were somehow totally omitted from the menu section of their website?!🤔🤔🤔

The past week, we gave the following commendable and near faultless offerings a try:

• Marinated savoury and spicy Conch meat and Seaweed
  • Baked Scallops with Crab meat, Tako, Tobiko in creamy seafood mayo sauce
  • Chicken Karaage
  • Bento box of lobster & vegetable tempura, Striploin Steak Teriyaki, Gyozas
  • Bento box of Alaskan King Crab Udon, Tuna Maki, Gyozas, Fried Fish Fillet
  • Bento box of Miso Black Cod, Salmon and Scallops Sashimi, Seafood Charmushi
  • Angus striploin + Beef Enoki Mushroom roll Teridon
  • Tonkotsu Ramen with all the essential, traditional toppings

Apart from the well executed and delicious food. Two heavenly tasting, stand out sauces/dressings were worthy of a special mentioning…the sweet and tangy, soy based ginger, garlic and sesame salad dressing and the exquisite tasting and super-aromatic teriyaki sauce…the latter soooo good!!😋😋👏👍👌

3 Likes

Please tell me you had a 4 person team eating all that. Looks great Charles. Almost makes me want to go to Richmond Hill.

Happy New Year!!
Good guess!!
Come-on-up!! Great price, great value and utterly yummy!
Salad, Miso Soup, Gyozas, Lobster and veggie Tempura, Steak Teriyaki, fresh fruit, ice-cream…all for $23!! Try beating that for taste/price/value ratio?!

Well harness up the dog sled then. MUSH!

2 Likes

Just up Yonge Street from Shoushin’s startling prices, there’s Shinobu, where I’ve supped many times over the years - I live a short drive away - and enjoy it every time out. It’s a small joint - reservations a must - Japanese-owned as far as I can tell, with a short, interesting menu that touches all the bases with style, imagination and sweet service. In my view, it beats any other mid-level sushi spot (and I’ve tried quite a few when I’m lusting for Japanese and can’t get into Shinobu) around town.
Two can dine quite well there nowadays for about $125-$150, all in, if you stay away from the pricier sakis. Park easily on the side streets off Yonge.

2 Likes

Shinobu is my favourite sushi spot.

I ordered Sushi Maido’s tempura udon, inari and futomaki online last night. It was decent.

Does anyone have a recommendation for udon downtown?

1 Like
1 Like

But if you WERE in the east end searching for Japanese brunch, there are a couple of options.

Katsupan on Midland north of Finch serves up some mighty fun sandwiches. Homemade spam for breakfast anyone?

If you want a more upscale experience, there’s Scenic Coffee + Brunch on Woodbine north of the 407. For those mornings where you really want eggs and a haircut.
http://sceniccoffee.ca/

2 Likes

Raku is really good for Udon IMO. That makes me think I should order it again as with the weather it is outside it would make for a good meal :slight_smile:
I shared my experience there in another thread.

2 Likes

1 Like

Looks great, Googs. Hope to try it this summer, when I might travel a little further for some meals.

Nice menu at Scenic Coffee
http://sceniccoffee.ca/menus/SCENIC-Food-Menu-Oct-2022.pdf

1 Like

I guess I can dedicate this order of Udon to you. Quick delivery and nice chunks of crab meat today (previously just shredded meat)
Went well

2 Likes

Looks excellent.