January–April 2024 Baking Cookbook of the Months :SNACKING BAKES by Yossy Arefi

Chocolate Chip Snickerdoodle Cake for a team meeting tomorrow! Reminds me a bit of a way easier version of this recipe https://smittenkitchen.com/2006/11/chocolate-chip-sour-cream-cake/ ? Will taste test tomorrow at meeting.

I added extra chocolate chips on top to use up the bag…

10 Likes

can’t wait to hear the review @rstuart ! Smart to put the choc chips on top

1 Like

On my list, look forward to you taste review — looks good! And you have a lucky team, I always think!

4 Likes

Correction 10 nuffins

GLAZED COOKIE BUTTER BARS - these are fantastic. I don’t like the taste of rum so subbed the 1T in glaze for 1/2T vanilla plus 1/2T water and it was perfect. Bringing to Book Club and will report back

10 Likes

Caitlin

Was it you who looks for Good Culture cottage cheese? Gus Market, small chain in SF, carries it, both nonfat and full if you get into SF.

Nope, not me. Looks as if it is also available at Sprouts and Target. Nancy’s also makes cultured cottage cheese.

Could you please share the proportions for the rum glaze when you have a chance? I was thinking of subbing it for the coffee glaze in the molasses bars.

I think it was @mig but she’s on the east coast

1 Like

I think I remember Nancy’s tastes salty.

Yes, in my mind mig and Caitlin are in same category, I think Caitlin lives in Berkeley.

I’m pretty salt-sensitive, and don’t think I’ve found it salty. I don’t always want the cultured flavor, though; depends what I’m using it for.

I would be very pleased to be considered part of @CaitlinM ‘s category.

6 Likes

I’m doing this from memory - at work - but I think it was 75g (3/4 cup) of powdered sugar, 1T of rum, 1T of melted butter (14g), pinch of cinnamon, pinch of fine sea salt

You two love to bake sweets, bake a lot.

Shelly bean has her own slot as well as Nanny Bakes.

sallyt has her own slot in my mind, too.

Miss Toronto Jo

3 Likes

It was a big hit: the cake disappeared very quickly! Several people had 2 pieces: they liked that it was simple and not too sweet…

4 Likes

Also on my list! Glad it worked without rum…

2 Likes

It disappeared! Delicious.

5 Likes

Best intentions and bungling reported on the baking thread.

TLDR: I planned to make a cross between the loaded chocolate chip cookie bars and the molasses bars, but ended up with something resembling the snickerdoodle cake.

It was delicious. Gave half to the friend I baked it for, then realized I’d just eat through the rest, so quickly shared the other half with another friend. All gone now.

One of these days I will follow a recipe properly.

7 Likes

GINGER CHERRY OATIES

I made this recipe almost as written. I reduced the granulated sugar by half (all of 25g/2 T), and instead of 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon cloves, I used 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and cardamom and 1/4 teaspoon allspice. I used tart dried cherries plumped in hot water. The dough has a cookie dough consistency when going into the pan, then rises a good bit in the oven and falls as it cools, leaving raised edges as seen in the photo in the link (I trimmed the edges off before slicing the bars). These baked in 25 minutes.

Upon cooling, these did not cut very neatly, and they were also unexpectedly soft and cakey - more cake than cookie bar – so I didn’t see what the oats were contributing. They also weren’t notably gingery, more like a spice cake than one with prominent ginger notes. (I may have inadvertently gone a little heavy on the allspice, but it’s not as prominent a flavor as cloves.) After a night on the counter in an airtight container, however, the crumb had tightened and they had become pleasingly soft and chewy. The oats made sense as a textural contrast that wasn’t present the first day. As with most things where spices are prominent the flavors had melded with sitting, though the ginger notes hadn’t deepened any. I enjoyed them quite a bit as a spice bar and described them that way to others, who all liked them a lot.

If I were to make these again, I’d let them sit overnight before slicing. And if I decided I wanted something particularly gingery, I’d up the amount of dried ginger to a tablespoon and perhaps add some minced candied ginger as suggested in the headnote. All in all, these were a success, with a little mellowing time.

11 Likes