what are you Baking? February 2024

Deborah Madison’s oat and brown sugar coffee cake. Madison describes this as old-fashioned cake, and I was drawn to it for that reason. It features rolled oats soaked with boiling water and added to a spiced brown sugar cake batter. The topping is a pecan streusel.
She calls for a 9x12 pan, and I was going to use my 8x12, but happened to grab by 9x13 and went with it. I would probably go with the smaller pan if I were to make this again.
I guessed on the weight of the ingredients and the finished cake was nicely balanced with the streusel providing just enough sweetness. I love coffee cakes, but they can often be too sweet given they get a pretty sweet topping. I prefer to keep the actual cake a bit more restrained.
This cake is moist and homey, and kind of keeps you coming back for more. Though the oats definitely feel a bit squidgy, so that might not be to everyone’s liking.

Every time I look through Deborah Madison’s books I want to bake everything, as my palate has always aligned really well with hers and her baked goods to me are very well-balanced in terms of sweetness.

13 Likes

Big hit at work! Can recommend…

6 Likes

Wow super cute, and looks yummy! :owl:

1 Like

A complete flop of an entremet as I interpreted the amount of already hydrated gelatin that was called for to mean gelatin mass, but I’m fairly certain it should have been that much gelatin, then hydrated. So mirror glaze didn’t work. I wanted to try this specific one because it called for both gelatin and neutral glaze, and as a result seemed a little less gelatinous than typical mirror glaze, which can get grossly gooey for me sometimes :joy:.
I also just don’t like very bitter chocolate mousse. I didn’t have the chocolate called for here which was 66%, so I used mostly 57% plus a few pieces I needed to use up of 74% and a tiny chunk of 81%. I really do just prefer straight 57% as I do for most things.

The sacher sponge for this is delicious. Due to remembering that the last time I made it I found it was one of those rare things where a more bitter chocolate would have been better, I used 74% and that was just right.
I think my pectin isn’t as potent as what’s used here because the last time I used it I had to increase the amount, and this strawberry confiture isn’t set enough. Pectin NH always works as expected, but this called for regular pectin, and all I have is Sure Jell rather than something from Modernist Pantry which suspect would work better.

I had leftover mousse, so I put it in a vanilla roll, since I like sweet vanilla to offset bitter chocolate.

12 Likes

Dorie Greenspan’s carrot cake.

I made a half recipe in an 8” square pan. My modifications included using 25% white whole wheat, soaking the raisins, and adding 1 t. of rum (because Gateau).

We like it unfrosted, and as such, it’s one of my favorite snacking cakes – sweet, toothsome, and chock full of nutritional ingredients.

11 Likes

I planned to make one recipe, but ended up making what looked like another recipe :rofl: —- still, it turned out delicious, thank heavens, because it was mainly for my friend’s little kid :sweat_smile:

Plan was for the chocolate chip bars from BCOTQ Snacking Bakes. Then I thought I’ll combine that recipe with the molasses bars from the same book. In all that, my butter exploded while melting (stupid rookie move) and threw me off, because I was on a clock and had exactly an hour before I had to leave for dinner with whatever baked good for dessert.

So, I used the first recipe, added an egg, messed up the baking soda and baking powder proportions, realized I had messed them up and adjusted, couldn’t find molasses or brown sugar so added some maple syrup, and aaaarrrrgggggh into the oven. It baked up a lot faster than either recipe’s timing, but luckily I always set the timer for 3/4 of the way through to check, and it was probably only a few mins overdone at that point. Put it outside to speed cool in the 40 degree air for 15 mins, then cut up and boxed for travel.

Well, it was delicious. It tasted like a snickerdoodle cake without cinnamon, which was the best possible flavor outcome! The kiddo loved it, and all was well.

(I’ve got some of the cake left with me as I couldn’t fit all of it in the box.)

14 Likes

Hail from the Sisterhood of Exploding Butter.

I’m glad it worked out.

3 Likes

Sweet Potato Pie

14 Likes

Made this, but used sweet cream buttermilk powder, cut down the salt because I didn’t see why an enriched sandwich loaf needed more than 2% salt, particularly if one does the lower end of the hydration range, but even with the higher one; and I wanted my loaf to be at least 65% hydration, so even though I live somewhere humid I used over 300 g of water.
I also ignored their mixing directions because I think enriched sandwich loaves should have very strong gluten development for optimal texture, and I feel like they skip it in part to not intimidate people who will be put off by the kneading time.

They say 9 or 10-inch pan, but I used a 9” and wished I had gone with 10”. This loaf turns out massive and while I like a tall bread, it can sometimes get compressed at the bottom when there’s too much dough for the pan.

12 Likes

Lemon Tarts for Mom

16 Likes

Gorgeous! Any occasion?

Nope just her favorite.

6 Likes

Copenhagen Rye Cookies with Chocolate,Spice and

Seeds. Recipe from Baking with Dorie. This is a very different type of cookies. About a quarter of the flour is rye. Spices are ground coffee espresso, cardamon, cinnamon. You have a choice of seeds and i had sesame, poppy and sunflower. 8 oz of chopped chocolate. Before baking i sprinkled some sesame seeds and flakey salt. On first bite you get this nutty taste i guess from the rye flour, then the spices and chocolate come thru. Also, we love the salty taste. I think this will be one of my favourite cookies from the book.

13 Likes

@BierMonk What recipe do you use?

Back to (my) basics: Orange olive oil cake.

Full recipe baked into 2 smaller cakes, one for Sunday’s Super Bowl gathering, the other to share.

Hopefully the flavor and texture will have settled well by Sunday. Resisting cutting into the second one.

14 Likes

I do not really have a unified Recipe
Pâte SablÊe 1Egg, 80g Sugar, 250g Flour,125g Butter & pinch Salt or you can use Pâte SucrÊe

Lemon Curd: For every .5 C Lemon Juice I use Zest, 6 Egg Yolks, Scant .5C Sugar and 4oz Butter
Mix Yolks and Sugar add Zest and Juice
Heat stirring constantly with a Spatula till thickened.
Remove from Heat and immediately stir in Butter, Strain directly into fully Baked Shell and allow to set.

I then top it with Italian Meringue and Brown it with a Torch

3 Likes

Thank you! Is that for 1 tart or 2? And what is the size of your tart pan?

The Pâte SablÊe is for 1 28cm Tart Pan
I would Double the Curd

1 Like

Those look really interesting.

They are very good. Still nice and chewy the second day and the cardamom is more pronounced

3 Likes