January–April 2024 Baking Cookbook of the Months :SNACKING BAKES by Yossy Arefi

They really are delicious. I want to try again, but I can’t decide where I should just try another brownie cookie because that’s what delicious about it, or try to figure out what’s wrong here.

2 Likes

I think the culprit is melted better that’s not creamed, plus less flour than the “back of the bag” recipe she says it’s tweaked from.

She increased the cocoa, but it didn’t seem to compensate in my case.

Reese’s proportions (for 1 egg)
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour (use more for thicker cookies)
1/6 cup cocoa
1 cup chips

Tollhouse proportions (for 1 egg)::
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/8 cups flour
1 cup chips

This recipe:
1/2 cup butter, melted (and not creamed)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 cup chips

4 Likes

Very disappointing, so far there haven’t been a lot of winners in this book☹️!

2 Likes

Sorry to hear — ricotta cakes are usually so tender and moist, I’m surprised you used tough as a descriptor.

Agree on cardamom with chocolate, doesn’t go.

3 Likes

Are we just picking the wrong things? (All off us :joy:)

1 Like

Seems to be a lot of issues going on, sometimes it’s not worth fixing. Have you made François Payard’s flourless chocolate cookies? They are quite good.

Ooh. No but I will look them up now.

They’re very good, especially if you like chewy cookies.

3 Likes

Ive made about 4 bakes from this book and loved 3. I found the oatmeal cookie quite dense. I hope I’ll be forgiven but in some cases here you can’t judge if you don’t make it like the recipe. I remember David Lebovitz’s biggest beef being bakers complaining about something not turning out but then telling him what changes he made. If i bake something new i might decrease the amount of sugar by no more than 25grms.

2 Likes

True that! IIRC, you mentioned your family enjoyed the Mazurkas and you enjoyed the brownies.

1 Like

Ive made the Lemon poppyseed cake but into muffins and the white chocolate macmadian nuts cookies but used pecans instead which is one of her suggestions and we loved both

2 Likes

Exactly- I was expecting a very tender cake.

In case anyone might be interested, here’s another recipe from “ Snacking Bakes”.

4 Likes

Agree, and also why I am upfront about any changes I make (there’s a running joke about NYT recipe comments where people change everything and then complain about the bad reviews :rofl:)

2 Likes

I’ve got this one bookmarked

I’ll add a few other links I found later

1 Like

Ok, now I feel better about these but am also wondering why I blanked out on your spreading warning @sallyt :woman_facepalming:t2:

When I saw on my email that you had made this I was sure I was going to read a glowing review. What a shame. I love cardamom but I don’t think I’ve tried it with chocolate.

1 Like

Chocolate Chip Snickerdoodle Cake page 132
Made this recipe into muffins. The muffin is nice and moist from the sour cream and neutral oil. I used 25 grams less sugar but added about 20 grams more chocolate chips. You only will need about half the cinnamon/sugar topping if making muffins. This really wasnt too sweet because sour cream gave it a nice tang. We liked them and grandsons would love them for sure. A 1/3 cup measurement made 20 good size muffins baking time was 20 minutes.

11 Likes

I’ve made 3 recipes and loved all of them! Even tho the cookies spread they were still delicious

3 Likes

I’ve got a third attempt planned today — either the loaded chocolate chip bars or the molasses bars, but I may add molasses to the former or chocolate chips to the latter :joy:

The chocolate chip bars are written as vegan, which is great for resizing the recipe as I won’t have to divide an egg. But also, it’s interesting because the only real difference between the two recipes is the egg (there’s slightly less flour in the molasses bars, oddly, I had expected the other direction bec the molasses plus egg means more liquid).

2 Likes