Jam-A-Lot

Every year I see seasonal posts from canners, bakers, cooks, and gardeners – each sharing ways to use up the annual batch of preserved fruit before the next harvest arrives.

Here’s a place to consolidate those ideas: what are your good ideas and intentions for purposing the abundant fruits of your labor?

Jam makes a nice glaze for pork tenderloin. It can also enhance a popsicle. Some of my favorite ways to use up jam involve baked goods:

Shortbread
Jelly rolls
Thumb-print cookies
Victoria sponge cake
Mini hand pies

Outside of crowning your buttered toast, how will you be using your jam surplus?

6 Likes

I am very lacking in imagination in this department - thumbprint cookies are about my limit. However, I just made a jar of kumquat marmalade which is not very sweet and would be perfect for pork, poultry, other savory applications.

5 Likes

Good idea! Still waiting for the bulk of fruit to come through this season though, have only seen some strawberries. I live in western Europe.

3 Likes

I love making a French style strawberry jam - berries can be so abundant, and the “no cook” method makes such a beautiful product. The problem is we don’t like eating strawberry jam all that much - too sweet for our taste. I rarely make it any more for that reason, but I recall years where I made so much we couldn’t even give it all away. :cry:

3 Likes

I’m not a baker, but I do like some jams/chutneys used in savory preparations - baked brie is a favorite of ours. I like to use certain jams/chutneys inside of grilled cheese sandwiches. Some can be used as a base for salad dressings, and mixed with wine or vinegar and oil to make a marinade for fish, poultry, meat and vegetables. Just some ideas off the top of my head…

8 Likes

Your version of growing too much zucchini in a garden and leaving bags of it on your neighbor’s porch? :smile:

4 Likes

Lol - that, too! :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve been keeping my jamming under control by limiting my jam making to a jar or three. I use the microwave to cook a batch and a few jars of any fruit limits the output. Otherwise, I found I was stockpiling them! We, and family, are modest users of jam.

4 Likes

I bake with my jam… current favourites are this Jessie Sheehan recipe ( uses two whole jars!!) https://www.thespruceeats.com/one-bowl-oatmeal-jam-bars-4843487 the swirled jam cake from Snacking cake, and this cookie recipe https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/split-second-cookies/

4 Likes

I try to use it to glaze proteins mostly, and love jam bars, but no one else eats them.

I use as a sub for honey, maple syrup in a few salad dressings, try "small batch-ish ingredients, but still, as of this evening…

8 Likes

Salad dressing is a good idea. I’m going to try that with my kumquat marmalade.

1 Like

Raspberry jam in a standard vinaigrette is also a good one. I like it on a spinach salad.

3 Likes

Split-second cookies are the simpler cousin of thumbprints. (That recipe was originally on Chowhound’s editorial side, which was where I discovered it.) And @mig, who makes a lot of jam, introduced me to “jamaretti”, a version that uses almond paste in the dough.

4 Likes

Swiss roll is by far my favorite use of jam!

In the non-traditional use category, I remember a grape jelly-based glaze for meatballs that used to be popular.

So I could see any jam / preserve plus a spice element (gochujang, sriracha, hot sauce of your choice) and tart element (vinegar, tamarind, orange juice) mixing into a good sweet-sour-spicy glaze or bbq sauce for meatballs or chicken thighs or ribs or any other meat.

I’ve also mixed jam and sriracha / hot sauce together as a topping for baked Brie (inspired by hot pepper jelly).

And if you like something sweet with cheese, spread some inside a grilled cheese.

On the more traditional front, there’s also rugelach and hamantaschen.

And you can thin it a bit to use as a cocktail syrup / flavored simple syrup (I used strawberry syrup recently in an old fashioned and it was lovely, but orange would be even better).

5 Likes

And of course I couldn’t resist making a couple of jars of Clementine Jam that Stef_bakes had posted!:laughing:

I bet that’s where I first saw the recipe for split seconds!

1 Like

Bakewell Tarts, my fave!
Or just a regular old Jam tarts. For some reason, I find them more exciting than Thumbprint cookies.

5 Likes

Jam and mint or ginger muddled into a cocktail! I don’t have a specific recipe, but blackberry, raspberry, or strawberry jam added into a collins-like drink can be a delicious way to use a tablespoon of fruity goodness at the home bar

3 Likes

Here’s a rugelach recipe from Jo Cooks for jam-based cookies. I haven’t made this particular recipe, but it’s a good idea.

2 Likes

Appetizer - Jam spooned over a brick of softened cream cheese for spreading on crackers.

Egg roll sauce/dip - plum jam is best, but others work too - doesn’t use a lot but every bit helps, right?

2 Likes