I've got two fresh pinapples from Hawaii!

Sorry, I don’t know what to suggest… Love pineapples, I eat them with some salt and chilli flakes.

Sometimes the enzymes burn my tongue and mouth but not always. Burn as in quite painful and lasts a whole day.

2 Likes

Yes

We are eating one “as is”, and I’m wanting to make pinapple vinegar with the trimmings.

Pinapple Vinegar

Anybody familiar with this? Some recipes call for brown sugar, I don’t know why, and I don’t have enough brown sugar. And no “mother” from apple cider vinegar. Can’t believe that! I kept some for way longer than seemed reasonable.

OMG make a SHRUB!
I don’t know why I didn’t think of this earlier…
I still have some from last summer in the fridge.

Same idea, but drinking vinegar - it sucks every last bit of flavor out, and lasts for ages. You’ll be spiking water and cocktails and remembering your Hawaiian pineapples well into the fall and winter :rofl:

2 Likes

A shrub would be perfect! I went through a shrub phase a few years ago. Do you think I need a “mother”? I apparently used mine up.

Here’s Michael Dietsch’s cold method:

Some combination of white and rice vinegar I think for a clean pineapple flavor.

2 Likes

Yayyy! I’ve got pluots and figs on the way!.

Shortcut is to thrown the fruit and sugar into the FP first, let that sit in the fridge for a day. Add vinegar right into that mixture, leave it all for another few days. Then strain.

I’m jealous. Might need to make a shrub soon.

1 Like

FP? Perhaps it’s getting late, but I’m not sure what that is.

Food processor

1 Like

Oh! Well I’m going to add some (local C&H) sugar tonight, and think about it tommorow.

1 Like

:worried:This face is my sixth choice. Has anybody gone through all these faces? The skin tone thing is not working.

I made this Pineapple, Lime, and Ginger Soup for guests recently. Everyone liked it.

2 Likes

Far from a serious suggestion but rather a historical note, there was, “mid-Century” a very popular destination roadside restaurant near Sacramento (actually Davis) called the Nut Tree. Very early “California cuisine”. One of their “must orders” was raw pineapple with marshmallow creme (out of a jar). We thought it was divine. Sounds absolutely disgusting now.

3 Likes

Its actually in Vacaville, and when we first moved here we used to go regularly! I don’t remember having that, though.

3 Likes

My gosh! How wonderful!! I love pineapple but can’t have much or i have an odd reaction and get something like a cold sore from them. Which sucks, pineapple is delicious!

The pineapple salsa idea sounds fantastic- or you could do something like a pineapple/black bean/bell pepper/red onion thing to eat as a bean based cold salad or even turn into a taco or lettuce wraps.

There’s the famous Dole Whip frozen dessert they sell at Disney, which uses pineapple juice. Makes a fairly healthy dessert option
http://www.dole.com/recipes/d/DIY-Dole-Whip

1 Like

So I’ve got no vinegar “mother” , but I do have some “organic apple cider” and some “wine yeast” from my vinegar making phase . Any body know if it makes sense tlvadd these to the pineapple vinegar?

Isn’t it still there? In Vacaville, I mean.

1 Like

AFAIK, the historic restaurant closed several years ago. The Nut Tree, as a commercial venture, is still there. More a mall at the moment, I believe.

1 Like

Still a good place to stop, wherever you are going!
Pineapple vinegar