In Order of Preference, Your Top Three Favorite Pies

Like @rooster, I am Team Pie all the way.
And as my late uncle said, “Pie makes everything better.”

I am especially partial to:

Apple
Pumpkin
All the savory pies, especially spanakopita and empanadas

3 Likes

Shepherd Pie to me has always been lamb
(or cubed beef)
with vegetables in a sauce.
Our lunches had neither vegetables nor any sauce.

Interesting about the lunches…we had a lot of mashed potatoes with hamburger gravy in the cafeteria.

1 Like

Yep, that’s Shepherds/Cottage pie. A traditional British dish that we call “pie” but, like “fish pie”, actually isnt a pie (assuming you accept the usual British definition of pie - a filling totally encased by pastry, top, bottom and sides). These days, I’d cook it using fresh lamb mince, with onion, carrot, stock, etc but Mum would make it using the leftover meat from the Sunday roast, so always a Monday meal.

1 Like

It was just one of those dishes I never encountered in real life, only in institutional settings.

Me too, but if I had to pick two more they would be mince meat and apple.

It closed about 20 years ago. I think there is a WaWa there now.

1 Like

My school system served a dish called Potato Turbate which was similar to what you described. I loved it. It was the one school lunch I just had to get a ticket for! Granted, the word “turbate” generated a great many juvenile jokes and snickers. But is was tasty and nothing like what my mom cooked. I’ve never met anyone not from that school system who ever heard of it!

2 Likes
  • 2/3 cup dehydrated potato granules

Long time I haven’t eaten this.

For school, it wasn’t bad. Similar stuff in France is hachis parmentier.

1 Like

Recalling driving to the country for a very nuclear family Thanksgiving. DH and then young son didn’t like/eat pumpkin pie. Okay, we do without. Then some 15 miles from our destination, I yelled, “pull into that drive-in!” I went in, and order one piece of pumpkin pie “to go”. As the sweet waitress processed my order, i told her my silly story. She looked at me, cut me a quarter or third of a pie, and said, “You deserve some leftovers. Happy Thanksgiving!”

Human connections…

6 Likes

So I’m not the only one who couldn’t accept school as being part of real life!

2 Likes

Best pumpkin pie! Love your story.

2 Likes

Any savory pie, obviously. But on the sweet side:

Lemon Meringue
Banana Cream (w/ coconut)
Custard pie

1 Like

Blueberry
Blueberry
Wild blueberry.

Actually I like apple pie too. I also enjoy savory pies but my experience is quite limited, and it’s not easy to find in my area except chicken pot pie and shepherd’s pie.

2 Likes

How are wild blueberries different from
domestically grown?

1 Like

Being in New England, we often get foods clearly marked as “wild blueberries” (usually from Maine) vs regular old blueberries. From my experience, they are smaller and sometimes a bit more tart. They have a lovely blueberry fragrance and aroma though. From the bush itself, my understanding is that the wild blueberry bushes are all low bush variety.

3 Likes

My cousin Diane’s apple pie
My apple pie
Costco apple pie

1 Like

Amelia Island Mud pie
Grasshopper pie
Chocolate pie

1 Like

Peach
Apple
Coconut custard