In Order of Preference, Your Top Three Favorite Pies

Cherry
Pecan
Blueberry

2 Likes

What is fruits of the forest pie @Rooster?

Interesting that strawberry only has 2 mentions, and that is mixed with rhubarb, and isn’t a first place choice.

In re-reading this, think it would have been easier for me to list my least favorite: old fashioned raisin pie. My parents loved it though…

Haven’t met a meat pie or quiche I didn’t like either.

2 Likes

It’s usually a filling combo of stone fruits and berries. My favorite version includes, strawberries, peaches, nectarines, blackberries and blueberries.

I can’t think of a single pie mentioned here or that I have eaten that I don’t like. The pie town of Julian, CA is my kinda town!

1 Like

Thanks Rooster, sounds absolutely delicious. I love almost all pie too, sweet or savory1 crust or 2.

Clam
Strawberry Rhubarb
Blueberry Peach

1 Like

Clam as in pizza?

No but I like those too. Like a chicken pot pie but clams instead of chicken and no peas

1 Like

Clams were unknown and exotic when I was a young one in the center of the country. And now I love em, but I’ve never experienced that.
On my list to do. Why no peas?

1 Like

It just the way I learned to make it. I use potatoes, onions and carrots, but not a lot as you want the primary flavor to be the intense brine of the clams. There are variations - a little bacon crumbled up goes well. I don’t add any cream but some people do. Steam the clams open then filter any sand from the broth and cook the potatoes, carrots and celery in the clam broth. I like it really soupy when it goes in the crust because the crust absorbs a lot of juice when it bakes. Can also add parsley, lemon zest, can steam the clams in white wine or pernod with oregano or thyme - whatever sounds good to you.

2 Likes

That sounds fabulous. What sort of crust do you use? Flaky pie dough or something sturdier?

No not flaky, a sturdy crust just hand pressed into the pie pan - but baking isn’t my forte so I don’t really have a large repertoire of pie crusts to confidently choose from!

2 Likes