I'm making stuffing in a slow cooker!

Has anybody here tried this? There are decent sounding recipes on the internet. , but it will be my first time, and it’s for a pot luck.

Many less decent recipes use cream of whatever soup. My recipe uses eggs and cream.

I usually use this fairly convoluted recipe from Cooksillustrated, but I need to be able to serve this at work at noon.

The CI recipe says
" WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS

For a moist and flavorful cornbread stuffing recipe, we started with homemade cornbread, torn into bite-size pieces and dried in a low oven for one hour. Then we soaked the cornbread in an egg, stock, and half-and-half mixture for one hour for moisture and added sautéed onions, celery, and fresh thyme and sage for flavor. Pork sausage added nice po… Read More"

The CI cornbread

I also like a similar one from FineCooking.
I cant find the recipe online, but it says this about making your own cornbread.

I think this is the Fine Cooking recipe. I thought there was a custard poured over.

Yes, every year for Thanksgiving. I’ll look up my recipe when I get home (sorry this won’t help you). This recipe is a total crowd pleaser. I usually make it the day before and reheat it in the Crock-Pot to serve. Mine is vegetarian and includes mushrooms.

Thank you! So you bake it in something else, then reheat it in the slow cooker? I’m a little worried about how long the mixture will be in “the danger zone”.

Nope, I do the entirely thing in the slow cooker. I deeply appreciate your concern. My #1 worry when I feed someone is I’ll inadvertently give them food poisoning.

Does the pork go in raw? You could cook it in the slow cooker, dish it into smaller containers to cool faster then move it back to the slow cooker to reheat? A pain in the ass for sure.

Oh! I would like to see the recipe! I assume no eggs, right?

No, the sausage goes in cooked, but an egg custard goes in uncooked, and it can take awhile to set up in the size I usually make.

Last time I took a bunch of I stand Pot steamed?boiled eggs the supervisor questioned me about !saving them out. I’m sure he does not want everyone out sick! Also, I called myself reheating white chili last year and it took forever to got not.

I like this one too. It uses white bread AND cornbread.

I have a few thoughts on this. Make your own cornbread or packaged but not Jiffy. Sugar has no place in stuffing/dressing. Too sweet.

Dry it out the night before, cubed along with bread. Add chopped raw onion, celery, a little apple for moistness, sage, s & p and whatever else you want in there. Let meld overnight in fridge. Get up really early so it can come to room temp before you add stock, eggs etc. Or you can get up early to saute veggies to add to dried out cornbread.

Leave out the pork.

I think you should get up early and cook it all the way through before you get to work and keep it on warm once you get there. I totally understand your concern for food safety. I would definitely not cook it a day ahead and heat up the next day in CP. Or you could decide on some other contribution to the potluck🙂

2 Likes

I work at a well known kitchen/home retailer and we make our packaged stuffing in the slow cooker all the time. I sauté onions and celery right in the slow cooker, add the bread mix, seasoning and broth, stir and heat on high about 35 minutes. The cooker keeps the stuffing warm for quite a while.

I do the same thing at home but will often make my own stuffing from scratch. The only negative is no crispy top. If I’m really feeling ambitious, I’ll take the cooked stuffing out, turn the heat up, add some butter and put the stuffing back in so that is crisps up.

3 Likes

You lost me…joking!

1 Like

Regardless of how it turns out I’d love to hear about your experience. If all works well I’ll try it this Thanksgiving in my slow cooker. Free up space in my oven for casseroles etc…:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In years past, I seem to recall “smuggling” some special flour from “down south”.

This year I’m considering

I also have

which I really need to use.

1 Like

Hard to tell if there is sugar in the first mix. Only one way to find out.

1 Like

I think you are saying I should make both! Too bad we are about to have another planned electricity outage. I did manage to make another batch of pepper jelly, which is always nice with cornbread.

Or hot pepper jelly over cream cheese a la Jezebel and hot buttered sliced cornbread on the side. I’d eat that.

1 Like

Pepper jelly brigade!

2 Likes

On second thought, I don’t think I would eat that.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m going to have to look up “a la Jezebel”. Maybe the website? I’m thinking the one in the Bible didn’t have cream cheese.

ETA Found it!

1 Like

As of right now, this is the plan. Fortunately I am still sleeping like I’m in another time zone. And maybe "I’ll take the cooked stuffing out, turn the heat up, add some butter and put the stuffing back in so that is crisps "! Thanks @Miss_belle and @MsBean!

Turns out I’ll be “finishing” in a Crock-Pot, not a slow cooker.

What’s the Difference Between a Crock-Pot and a Slow Cooker?

They must have gotten a lot of feedback because they added a follow-up with a lot of disclaimers.

1 Like

Sample (but in the oven, not Crock pot).

3 Likes

That looks delicious!!

If a customer comes into the store asking for a Crock-Pot, we make a special point to say slow cooker since, as you’ve noted, Crock-Pot is a brand and we don’t sell it.

Once I had so much going on in my kitchen I set up my slow cooker in the garage to cook my stuffing (or is that dressing - probably the subject of another thread).

1 Like

I baked it for 30 minutes in the oven, then transferred it to my buttered Crock pot set on high, then brought to work. I reserved the browned too pieces, and put them on time, and added a bit more brown with a torch.
Only my HO friends would understand.

11 Likes