Il Nido, Marlboro, NJ

This does look interesting. I’m not sure about seafood in a can though. It doesn’t sound too appetizing.

don’t kid yourself, it can be some serious stuff

It’s actually very traditional, and from what I’ve seen/heard, excellent when you get the right stuff!

1 Like

In Spain, especially Barcelona, conservas (food preserved in a can or jar) is a gourmet delicacy and the best ones can cost more than a good steak.

3 Likes

I second that, last year when we were in Barcelona, at one restaurant they served a salad, and the tuna was from a jar, and it was delicious.

1 Like

It is a mental thing for me, much like raw oysters/clams.

One of my nephews has lived in Spain for the last two years … some of the stuff he brings home would bring tears to your eyes, I’m certain … Don’t believe me, maybe this will help to convince you
Tony :cry:

4 Likes

Agree that this June tasting menu looks terrific. Looking forward to having it.

Note that, according to the website, it’s not being offered on Fridays and Saturdays. Only available Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays (they’re closed Mondays and Tuesdays), June 5 - 27.

They’re not playing…

3 Likes

They’re definitely torturing me with their Instagram account:

1 Like

Come to pappa !!!

1 Like

I wonder how much this will cost. It is an interesting combo too. I can’t say I have seen much wagyu at Italian places but I’d eat it!

Just got back from a solid dinner here with family party of 6 . It was a really nice evening with nothing negative observed. The decor is very warm, tables are very well spaced and seating really comfortable tall backs. Service was excellent attentive but far from cloying. Had choice of bread rye, whole wheat and ciabatta all crusty and airy. For appetizers we shared the salami and formaggi platter, served a decent portion with very tasty pickled vegetables, octupus very tender!, and the zucchini flowers (love this). The wagyu carpaccio was $42 but we passed.
Entrees were ribeye (fork tender perfect medium rare).
Duck perfect medium rare, squid ink pasta, whole breem,
Mushroom ravioli ( excellent!), artichoke lasagna.
For dessert we shared a pistachio cake ( this was my favorite restaurant dessert I’ve had …uhm ever?) and an olive oil chocolate cake. Both nice portions.
IMHO it’s worth a trip, I happen to live 10 min away and used to really enjoy the old Brioso when it was here.
However if I lived 45 min away I would not be disappointed.

11 Likes

Last night my wife and I had plans with another couple who were anxious to try Il Nido, specifically the tasting menu they had heard about. I’m not sure what exactly transpired but apparently when they called to inquire whomever they spoke to said there is no tasting menu this month as the chef had problems sourcing the ingredients so they cancelled it. However, since they called and inquired there was a special “10 course tasting menue @ $75pp” that they aren’t advertising that we could have. (entire table must partake) That sounded good to us so we joined them for dinner at 6:30pm.

We arrived & immediately seated at a very nice comfortable corner table (same table we sat at the last time we were there with 6 people) Greeted, by the server given our water options, drink glasses provided and we requested toasted bread which they gladly accommodated. (they offer a selection of bread from a basket, however when we ordered the meat and cheese platter last time, it came with toasted semolina bread that was EXCELLENT, so much better than their basket bread. So enjoy this insiders tip, ask for toasted bread!!!)

The other couple gave the waiter the secret 10 course tasting menu handshake and eye signals but he had no idea what they were talking about or who instructed them of such blasphemy. So after inquiring the waiter renegaded on the 10 course offer. Instead we were offered a 6 course tasting menu @ the same $ 75. whatever….let’s just eat!

Menu:
Lobster and crab salad
Beet and tomato salad
Fettuccine Bolognese
Halibut with sautéed vegetables
Filet Mignon with grilled vegetables
Chocolate cake with ice cream

Lobster crab salad – good fresh nice starter, nothing exceptional or “wow” factor. A fairly traditional lobster salad.

Beet and tomato salad – I hate beets, but they were very mild in this salad and I did enjoy it.

Fettuccine Bolognese – there was something a tad “off” with this, not that it was bad but the cheese or something was a bit over-powering. Not something I would order again.

Halibut – I’m not a fish guy so this was my biggest apprehension. The halibut was actually very good, very non-fishy much to my surprise I actually enjoyed it. However I enjoyed it because it was so bland………like soooo bland. The entire dish just didn’t have any personality in my opinion, which was fine with me but might be a let down to fish lovers.

Filet Mignon – now this is up my alley the steak was excellent, cooked perfectly and the vegetables were grilled perfectly

Chocolate cake – I’m not a big desert guy but this was truly excellent. It was served with caramel and caramelized sugar flakes it was very-very good.

So of the 6 course I would say 2 were very good 2 were good and 2 were meh……….Kind of a mixed bag.

The big problem was we weren’t out of there till after 9pm. Somewhere between the fettuccine and the halibut something went a foul. There was easily a 30-40 minute pause between those courses. The waiter came out and apologized after about 15 mins but that was only the half way point of our wait. I was fidgety and we asked for the check when they brought the chocolate as we were all ready to go.

The chef/owner? (someone of authority wearing an apron) came to the table to see how things were when desert was delivered. He too had no idea who informed us of a 10 course tasting menu, but he did say the tasting we had is “almost” ready for launch and he seemed VERY concerned about our experience. It was excellent seeing him take such interest and genuine concern over the quality of the food, nice touch. He also said he had to cancel this months tasting menu over his inability to source “organic escargot”? Who knew your average escargot wasn’t organic!?!?!

Anyway……a good although drawn out experience with a tasting menu I’m left a bit on the fence about. If / when I go back, I won’t partake in this menu again but will stick to the ala’ carte options.

8 Likes

NJ Monthly gave Il Nido 3 stars.
https://njmonthly.com/articles/restaurant-reviews/il-nido/

Do we need to start planning a pre-holiday HODown?

2 Likes

We might be able to make an early Sunday HODown.

We finally made it out to Il Nido and had a spectacular dinner. Our server Sergio was fantastic. Real old school service. It was worth the almost 1 hour trip. I wish this place was closer. We have to find a way to get back here again before the crazy summer traffic.
We started off with several appetizers including homemade tagliatelle in a capon bolognese; veal and wild boar meatballs; crispy duck confit with charred onions, shiitake mushrooms, and a puntarelle caesar salad. For entrees Mrs. P enjoyed a beautiful whole black sea bass stuffed with lemons and caper leaves. I enjoyed a supposed 45 day dry aged filet mignon with fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme and a salsa verde. It just melted in your mouth. For dessert we enjoyed the orange olive oil cake. It all went great with an excellent Mario Bazan cabernet.

13 Likes

We had an outstanding little mini HOdown at Il Nido with the lovely @CurlzNJ and @MsBean, and the delightful Mr. Bean Sunday night. It was great seeing you both. Mrs. P and I had a great time. Some of the outstanding dishes that we enjoyed were the tender grilled octopus with an addictive caper, Calabrian chili and Nduja pizzaiola sauce, an awesome lump crab cake with no filler, crispy duck confit salad, homemade Stella and Creste Di Gallo pastas, osso buco Milanese, wild boar chop, grilled whole black seabass, swordfish, chocolate hazelnut torte, pear tart, goat and ricotta cheesecake, and some excellent wines.

11 Likes

My mouth is watering! Looks divine! And what great company share it with to boot!

3 Likes