ITALIAN - Fall 2019 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

Clementines and red onion

There is a tongue in cheek concept called the Infinite Monkey Theorem that postulates that if you sit a monkey in front of a typewriter long enough it will eventually produce the works of William Shakespeare.
Bouncing off that, I propose tonight’s main as Nonna’s Pasta. i.e., if you left enough grandmothers to create dinner out of their pantries, one would come up with

Broken pasta with leftover meatball mix, red peppers, portobellos, onion, basil, tomato paste and cream.

My apologies to this thread that has so far been brilliant and honest. Couldn’t help myself.

8 Likes

I sometimes did a mix with my leftover bits. Actually I once bought a big box of assortment of pasta on promotion, like 12 of them pre packaged. There was a bag of mix of different pasta! Looks like there was a logic for that mix. I think it was Garofalo (or De Cecco?), maybe this one. :laughing:

1 Like

@naf Too funny. Since I actually used something similar, small-cut pasta that I bought for soup. I really liked it in a pasta dish.

i might add that I bought this at Walmart which carries some interesting pastas, not least their own brand imported from Italy. Superior papperdelle and rotelli

3 Likes

Pasta Lunches …
Pasta (1)
Short Pasta (2)
Polenta (3)

8 Likes

Thank you @tomatotomato.

We had polenta Sunday … It had been a long time … So wonderful.

One pasta today and one on Saturday.
Have a lovely holiday season.

1 Like

You remind me that we’re due for a bowl of polenta here too. So comforting at this time of year.

Happy holidays to you and yours, @Barca!

1 Like

Beautiful looking dishes @Barca! Is that a 2013 Redwood red zinfandel I see in the background :slightly_smiling_face: Nice choice of wine :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@paryzer

Thank you.
Yes, it was a gift from Friends who had been in San Francisco.
Quite a lovely pairing …
Have a healthy, successful & fulfilling 2020 just ahead and all our best wishes.

1 Like

Thank you @Barca! I wish you and your family the same!

1 Like

@Paryzer,

POLENTA !!!

We are grand fans both in the baked style and the stove top style – however, not too creamy … We use an Ecological Italian FARINE (Italian Corn Flour that is thick grained) …

Not a fine grained type.

It was quite lovely …

2 Likes

Many years ago a work associate raved about his Nonna’s “torta”. Other than that it was made with rice, he could give me no detailed description, and of course, Nonna was no longer with us. I beat a million bushes and cookbooks trying to figure out this ethereal but elusive dish.

Eventually, enter the internet and behold, Torta di Riso Salata. I made one, following this recipe and he exclaimed, “Questo è tutto!” Essentially, baked rice, cheese and eggs.

Cook 500 gr round rice until al dente. (do not overcook as it will later bake)
Mix together 7 eggs, 200gr grated Parmesan, 100 gr soft butter, salt and pepper.
Mix in the slightly cooled rice along with 500ml cold milk.

In the meantime, make a sheet of pasta about 3 inches wider than your pie pan. Oil a 9-10 in pie pan. Line it with the pasta sheet, providing an inch and a half overhang.

Fill lined pan with rice mixture and flip overhang over onto the top.

Bake in 500F oven for 15 minutes, then drop temp to 400 for 45 minutes. Let cool until it is served warm.

I have not kept photos of my pies but these stock photos are very close. This makes a wonderful addition to a buffet or picnic table.

53%20AM 40%20AM

This can also be made without the pasta crust. I’ve made it both ways and both are good.

11 Likes

Very Nice…Thinking about it for New Year’s Day bunch…
Have you altered or tired any other ingredients in the torta?

@PHREDDY I’ve only made this version. But if you Google it, zucchini, mushrooms, etc are frequently added. Or, as I would, just do it! How’s asparagus? Spinach? I’d parboil or saute first, depending on the veg.

1 Like

Remarkably outstanding.

Happy Holidays.

@pilgrim. @PHREDDY

I have sautéed red bell pepper thin strips in mine – however, basic récipe is the same as Pilgrim´s …

I also combine both 24 month or 36 month old Reggiano Parmigiani and Pecorino Sardo, for a hint of spice.

3 Likes

Had planned on French onion soup but reconsidered as our Italian Cuisine of the Quarter is quickly coming to a close.

Ergo, Italian onion soup = Cipollata
Red onions, garlic, butter and lard, flour, white wine, milk, chicken broth, cheese and egg. Grilled bread, additional shower of cheese and parsley.

Very delicious but considerably richer than classic French onion soup. But, again, really good.

6 Likes

We had an excellent dinner at Italian restaurant Il Nido. Below is a link to the details and pictures for those that might be interested.

2 Likes

I’m starting making bread now, and may very well try to make panettone this year. Is the special paper mold necessary for hanging, or can one bake with a metal mold and hang directly the bread on its own? Does one need to hand instantly the second the bread is out of the oven? TIA.

Novice disclosure! But I would use a paper liner for insurance. Our unmolding was a clown act because I hadn’t sufficiently discussed the process with dh who decided to help me by trying to pry/force the panetonne out of the mold, resulting in mangled cake. Realize that Panettone is by far the most delicate bread I have ever attempted. Ethereally light. But it needs to cool completely on its own schedule.

Thanks, I’ll order those paper liner. I did remember opening a box of collapsed panettone fabricated in Italy, those were the cheap supermarket stuff. I think they don’t care to rest before putting them in box.