Ideas for the Cooking board (COTM/ DOTM, etc.)?

Because it is already the first of April 1, I’m going to make an executive decision and start an inaugural DOTM thread for CHICKEN AND RICE.

I hope you all don’t mind! We can do nominations and voting next month, yeah? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here is a link to the thread I started, I put it on the wrong thread. (Have I mentioned I haven’t done this before?)

(I don’t know how to do thread to thread links. I also need to learn how to do polls before next month; message me if you can provide a short tutorial. Thanks!)

5 Likes

Too busy these days, I miss this post, sure will try to contribute next week, can you believe me? No chicken at home now?!

In winter 2016, HO tried an edition of DOTM / COTM on dumplings, the feedback was disappointing, more people participated to the voting but not a lot of contributions. I think since we aren’t a big crowd and we are all busy people, the ingredients should be simple to find, and themes not too restrictive. I think the DOTM this time has a lot more success than the last try! @bookwich, congrats for the brave just do it!

1 Like

I agree, and thank you @Bookwich! As I mentioned above, I also think a Cuisine of the Month (or Quarter) could be very successful here, with our smaller group - a longer time would give people more opportunity to participate, and broadening the theme to a whole cuisine would encourage cookbook users to plumb their whole collection for the best of the best recipes. Improvisational cooks would also be able to participate and share their creativity! Something to think about going forward…

1 Like

I tried to get the Duncan Hines thread moved over here, but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. As long as SFBA and NJ are in the majority I don’t see how to increase members beyond those borders. I don’t think I’m alone in not being in one of those categories, but we are scattered everywhere and there’s nothing to talk about. General interest topics would be welcome. I can’t blame folks who live in big cities, just that we’re here too.

I think a cuisine of the quarter would be great. Especially if we timed it seasonally, spring, summer, fall and winter. Different countries and cultures could be explored, based in when they make their best food. For example, Italian food would probably not be so terrific in winter. :slight_smile:

This Season’s Cuisine is… And then we nominate and vote.

4 Likes

It will be tough for the southern hemisphere members though, but why not? The best part is a season with 3 months to do research and discussion, I think the rhythm is better for more complex themes.

Actually, I quite like the theme of chicken and rice, as it means something to everybody (except vegetarians) and it’s so general yet you can do something quite unique.

Actually it will be great that the participants of the local boards DOTM join the HO DOTM, not just the What for dinner people.

1 Like

I agree that we need to consider our Southern hemisphere members too, but surely we can find dishes for every season in most cuisines. Also, what’s the best way to delineate quarters? Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, July-Sept and Oct-Dec? Or would going by the solstices/equinoxes work better? Either way, should we take a vote for Spring 2017? Anyone care to nominate a cuisine?

SOUP or VEGETABLES . That’s my vote for a cuisine .

Aha! I found you.
Nice you found some Home Cooking Homeys.

1 Like

I was thinking more along the lines of Thai, Italian, Persian, Japanese, etc. when I said cuisine, but perhaps a broad food category would work (although it seems like that is more what DOTM is for). Any other ideas?

Soup or vegetables can be a theme for the next DOTM.

I think Cuisine has to be at least bi-monthly (or quarterly). I don’t mind most cuisines since I like to explore, I propose Peruvian cuisine - which is a mix of Inca, European and Asian cooking.

Why don’t I start a nominations thread and see where that takes us? I think separating the year into quarters by month (Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, etc.) is probably easiest, but we can always shift it if need be. I’ll post a link to the nomination thread here in a sec.

1 Like

Here’s the nominations thread: Introducing Home Cooking Cuisine of the Quarter (Apr-Jun 2017) - Nominations Thread

I offered to manage the nomination/voting process in the thread so I won’t nominate a cuisine this time around. Have at it, HOs!

1 Like

Too bad Bookwich didn’t stick around long enough to see how things have evolved. Hungry Onion is my favorite board for home cooking! :hearts:

5 Likes