Ideas for Leftover Brisket?

No.

Poutine! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ooh yeah, brisket nachos slap, and you’d pay 20 bucks for them at a decent Texas BBQ joint.

2 Likes

Here in Austin a brisket topped baked potato has long been popular. Potato and brisket topped with ranch style pinto beans is my fave. That said, my favorite use for leftover brisket is enchiladas, but cheesesteaks are great, too.

4 Likes

Did anybody say fried rice yet?

5 Likes

You could also heat it in a bulgogi marinade, put it on a bun with a little 1000 island, top it with caramelized kimchi, grilled onions, and melted cheese to hold it together, and top it all with a fried egg and the rest of the bun.

2 Likes

Welcome @Ishie1013 ! Have you seen this?

3 Likes

Sounds worth a try! Never thought of using smoked meat in a chili.

3 Likes

Our local BBQ place, Luella’s, does topped baked potatoes:

8 Likes

Pho, or Wor Wonton Soup, Ramen. Maybe the question is, what wouldn’t it work in? Well, except the obvious lol.

2 Likes

That’s nice. No plans to visit North Carolina, so you enjoy.

1 Like

Maybe you should start a poutine thread on the Toronto board … :yum:

2 Likes

Ramen sounds ridiculously good. Maybe a seven minute egg, some scallions, and some sunflower sprouts.

3 Likes

It would totally work for me! This topic makes me hungry every time I check.

1 Like

I suggest it more than I eat it :joy:

1 Like

I agree wholeheartedly! Being in Austin it is a given that I worship well smoked brisket. However, last weekend I found something I liked as much. My son in law smoked beef cheeks and then braised and chopped them for barbacoa tacos. OMG. Beef cheeks give hanger steak a run for best cut IMO.

6 Likes

Oooh - have heard they’re delicious, but haven’t tried them yet. So far smoked brisket is my all time favorite if it’s done well. I love the half fatty stuff. Texas really has it nailed when it comes to brisket. Finally we can do a good one at home now too. Not as good as the masters, but more than acceptable. Will try to source some beef cheeks now & give them a try.

1 Like

If you get Aaron Franklin’s book and follow it, assuming you get great brisket and wood, you can make world class brisket.

2 Likes

Good to know. We’ve had lots of trial and error (mostly error), but always edible. The biggest leap forward was wrapping the brisket in foil, after it was out of the smoker, putting it in an insulated cooler, and letting it rest for an hour or two. Gave the juices a chance to reabsorb into the meat, was pretty damn good & we do it that way now, always.
Was just thinking about leftover brisket again, I think it would make some pretty damn good drunken noodles too.

3 Likes

These both call for braised brisket (as part of the recipe), but you could probably use leftover brisket (and find a way to get some of the braising liquid flavors in there in other ways):

7 Likes