Ideas for Leftover Brisket?

I made a 12-hour beef brisket 3 nights ago, and I have about 1.5 pounds left over.

After 2 meals of just sliced (excellent as they were), I want to change things up with the rest. What do you suggest?

Chili?
Tacos?
Dip sandwiches?
On a salad?
In a scramble or stirfry?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Is it smoked?

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

I’d probably skip the chili, but tacos with it reheated in a chipotle sauce, served with salsa verde would be grand.

So would a cheese steak with it shredded and added to EVOO caramelized onions, shrooms and bell pepper, with a dash of soy and Worcestershire.

And a stir fry reheated with crushed garlic & ginger, green onion, chili paste, sweet and sour sauce, and orange zest.

7 Likes

Hash. Did this with the last brisket where I had leftovers. Just chop it up, make a simple hash of diced potatoes and onions and add it in. Throw a couple eggs on top and breakfast of champions.

17 Likes

I love the hash idea. I have used leftover smoked brisket in enchiladas which was tasty. Or tacos.

5 Likes

Any type of dumpling, from ravioli to pierogi to momo to…

3 Likes

Shrinkrap
P.O. Box 1234
My town CA 56789

18 Likes

I think leftovers can be kind of dry; consider adding cheese. Nachos, chilies relleños, taquitos, quesadillas, thinly shaved in a sandwich with more barbecue sauce and cheese. Maybe roll into crescent roll or pizza dough with a creamy cheese?

3 Likes

Oh, I disagree. Chili should be the number one use.
The late lamented Grand Emporium in KC, a blues bar with accompanying food, always had Grace’s chili on the menu.
The previous day’s bbq became the next day’s chili.
World changing
:cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

All great ideas, nachos are great with it, as @ChristinaM mentioned. I’ve also made sliders with leftovers with cheddar cheese and caramelized onions, on Kings Hawaiian rolls, the fast way. (By slicing the package of rolls horizontally but keeping them intact.) A little Mayo, a little BBQ sauce, the onions, wrap in foil and heat. Yum.

5 Likes

I’m a sucker for a good sandwich, so I would go the easy route with that. Or served open-face on garlic bread slathered with any leftover sauce/drippings.

4 Likes

Add it to a PB&J sandwich.

That sounds like a winner!

2 Likes

Freeze it to use some other day in the future. The third day (like a ham or roast pork) is time to let it go. As delicious as it might be, you’re already tired of it at this point.

3 Likes

Thanks, and they are so fast, you won’t believe it. If you want to add even more flavor, you can brush the tops of the rolls with garlic butter. They disappear fast too.

I’m Team Taco, but I bet it would be great also stirred into a deeply cheddar-y mac and cheese.

3 Likes

Maybe with a touch of horseradish in the sauce.

1 Like

Yes, horseradish would be delicious too. The leftover brisket does seem to have an affinity with cheese for sure. Even a little blue cheese in the Mac n cheese would probably taste good as well.

Bean and barley soup

2 Likes