Ideas for (fresh) figs

I have had the same benefits since joining HO. My meal prep is organized by indiv ingred and inspiring meals plans better now than ever.

4 Likes

Nice one.

I look forward to eating my frozen figs in 10 days time.

Thanks, @bbqboy

2 Likes

Halved figs, with honey and Marsala, baked for 10 - 15 minutes. I did it with five figs, dessert spoon of honey and a good two thirds of a wineglass of Marsala. Almost too boozy, it was in danger of overwhelming the taste of the figs. But stayed on the right side.

3 Likes

I probably wouldn’t eat the defrosted ones uncooked. But they were great sautéed and in the sauce.

Grilled Fig salad - arugula, pistachios, goat cheese, pears, Dijon vinaigrette

3 Likes

Def clip and save this salad. Nice combo of flavors. Any tips on prep or chgs you made.

2 Likes

When it comes to salads, anything you like goes. Add prosciutto or bacon if you like, sliced pears, nuts of choice, dressing of choice, pomegranate, cheese of choice like Feta. I saw a new-to-me lavender goat cheese called Purple Haze I’d like to try. Whatever is seasonal.

3 Likes

Thanks. You always have helpful ideas.

1 Like

Thank you, Rooster.

My pleasure Karen.

Has anyone said fig syrup? I was reminded by the currant thread.

I believe I’ve tried both of these.

Serious Eats-Flavorful Fig Syrup Recipe

Saveur Gastrique

1 Like

It’s nice - creamy and not too perfume-y from the lavender.

2 Likes

Reviving this thread - there are two fig trees here.

This is from the tiny one (that produces tiny figs) just today. Then there’s a giant one that’s been in production overdrive but we have to battle giant beetle/wasp things for.

No one eats fresh figs at home… I’m thinking jam/preserve - to accompany cheese, for eg - and maybe some whole preserved figs - to give away or send to fig-loving friends and family elsewhere.

Ideas / thoughts / favorite recipes?

The idea of fig and balsamic or fig and ginger seems appealing… or spiced syrup for the whole figs…

Marginal preference for lower sugar alternatives - though since I’m not eating this it doesn’t actually matter that much…

Fig syrup for cocktails?

With goat cheese on a pizza crust.
Dipped in melted chocolate

Both sound great, but no one at home eats figs… so I’m trying to think of different ways to preserve / transform for others, as I don’t think the figs will keep well if I mail them fresh.

Ah, my mistake. I only enjoy them fresh.

2 Likes

Chutneys and preserves are popular, also in pastries.

I recently made toasties and “ice cream” with fresh figs. Toasties with cheese (and Speck. A type of air-dry smoked pork belly). For the “ice cream” I just pureed the fresh figs with yoghurt and froze. I never add any sugar to figs. They are so sweet already.

Lately I buy fresh figs by the tray so I often blend 2 figs together with other fruits for a quick drink after work-out.

Seared figs as part of dinner last week: fried onions, balsamico, tamari and a tiny bit of honey. Went well with seared pig’s liver (lurking in the background).

1 Like

Maybe you know what I’m going to say.

In addition to preserved figs, (not fig preserves), shrubs , syrups, and gastriques! I think all the links are here, but I am happy to share my favorites!

We roast halved black figs with a light touch of balsamic and rosemary. Nice on a cheese platter.

“That’s figgin’ fowl”

Our house roasted turkey blessed with roasted jalapeno fig BBQ sauce, stuffed inside a toasted baguette, topped with zombie slaw and red onion!

“Pig on a mission!”

Pastrami-braised pulled pork, local black mission figs, carmos, bals redux, melted provolone, stacked on grilled sourdough!

These from Sammich Ashland

3 Likes