Ideas for (fresh) figs

Or griddled halloumi

Yum, good idea or manouri. Thanks!
Haloumi probably is the easiest to find however.

I also think it would be good drizzled with a balsamic glaze. What’s not to love??

Found 2 recipes in German mag for Weck jars. Don’t other ingredients overpower the figs? One of the reasons I usually eat my figs plain.

(Click on images once or twice to enlarge)

With cherries

With port and mustard

I think they get along with others well! As with anything, if you prefer them alone and fresh, that’s the way to go. Like a perfect peach or pear, they need nothing else…

1 Like

Old fashioned fig Preserves

3 Likes

Beautiful @shrinkrap!

1 Like

Chez Panisse makes a fig pizza. So this place isn’t the first in Berkeley :slight_smile:

Fig pizza is good. I made it once when we had a fig tree outside our kitchen.

2 Likes

I’ve never had it anywhere, much less there.
:slight_smile:
I d wager the by the inch place wins the price derby.

CH has a comprehensive article on figs with some recipes at the bottom.

4 Likes

other than raw, the simplest form: wrap a fig in a slice of super thin prosciutto and grill it. the heat of the fire shrink wraps the prosciutto around the fig. goes quickly, you want the edges of the prosciutto to just crisp a little bit. 1-2 per person, sensational. salty, sweet, crisp and soft.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Planning to make this stuffed with Gorgonzola and Tyrolean Speck this weekend. And Flammkuchen as well.

1 Like

Fresh is good but I often let them sit in the fridge to dehydrate for a day or two or more. They always get better with time unless there is mold…Reset!

2 Likes

I thought I was the only one who noticed that! I thought maybe something was wrong with my refrigerator!

Often when I see them on sale at the grocery store they are getting past their best sell date. When they are BOGO I buy a bunch. Spread them out on parchment lined sheet pans and toss in the garage fridge to dehydrate a bit, use some, then freeze on a sheet pan and bag for later use

4 Likes

Seasonal fig menu at hotel on the Bosphorus in Istanbul.

5 Likes

Good “god”! I want to eat everything on that menu! Lucky you. Enjoy!

3 Likes

My latest endeavours:

Mini Flammkuchen

Grilled

Baked

Freezing a whole tray of quartered figs today. When I come back from holiday I can still eat figs for a little while.

6 Likes

Wow!

I made a Fig pan sauce for thick Bacon & Rosemary wrapped Pork Chops - Seared Chops then cooked partially covered (about 12 mins total or 140 internal temp). Removed and rested covered for about 5 mins. Sautéed Shallots & FIGS (chopped) in the Pan Drippings, added & reduced Wine, Chix Broth, Sherry Vinegar, Honey, Bay Leaf, S&P (butter if too acidic). Removed Rosemary & Bacon before saucing & serving.

Side note: I’m learning a lot about freezing produce on HO. A lot of you are growers and wind up with more than you can use. I try to buy only what I’ll use, but circumstances cause me to toss things sometimes. I never would have thought to freeze Figs but they froze really well (so technically they weren’t fresh figs). They didn’t look so good defrosted but tasted great.

6 Likes