I will not abandon my 8" Wusthof Classic Ikon Chef's Knife, but

damiano,

It won’t take much to convince me. I’ve never done Hong Kong, but I did Taipei and years of Bangkok/Chiang Mai. I’ve lived for awhile in Okinawa and Honolulu.

Here in SOCAL, not the same.

2 Likes

I doubt Panko even know what is going on.
What scissors task? The one about cutting the chicken feet fingernails? Yeah. I just use a knife now. To be honest, I didn’t use to do that at all, but it seems a lot of people are doing this, so I started cutting off the fingernails too.

1 Like

You’re a boss too then… :slight_smile:

“Chef Panko” is a joke.

If you want to emulate somebody, here’s the guy:

2 Likes

I have to disagree with you. I never laughed once when I watched Panko videos. I was gasp in horror. :rofl:

1 Like

Me too brother.

1 Like

Beautiful produce, which he handles with respect.

You know what they say, if you want to eat proper French food, go to Belgium! :shushing_face: :wink:

Joined at the hip, from the language on up.

I just watched once. Great knife skill and good overall food preparation.

1 Like

Hi Pertti,

My fusion batterie only fits well in SOCAL–not even the rest of the United States. We’re really the only place with a critical mass from Asia living side by side with Westerners.

Over there, our preoccupation with beef just doesn’t make sense to them–and a cheap santuko, nakiri, or cleaver is often enough at home.

I haven’t seen many Japanese hard steel artisan knives in Japanese homes–not even Japanese/American homes here in SOCAL.

He has other videos on YouTube. They’re all worth a watch.

1 Like

Look, let’s not make fun of Chef Panko. He doesn’t claim to be some Michelin starred chef so we shouldn’t judge him as such.

Personally, I’d rather have a meal at whatever place Panko cooks at, than at Redzepi’s Noma, ‘the best restaurant in the world’, where they serve green worms and charge you 660 dollars for it! :heart_eyes:

damiano,

When not in use, knives in Chef Panko’s Japanese restaurant were dropped into a pail of water.

1 Like

Two observations: First there are large Asian and Western communities living together in all the large cities north of LA up to Seattle. Second, when I practiced law in a big firm, my two largest clients were very large Japanese technology companies. Very wealthy young Japanese people seem to have a tremendous appreciation for beef. The older folk tend to resist it.

3 Likes

Beef is push to the limit in Japan. Various high end Wagyu beef should be good examples.

1 Like

Who is making fun of Panko?

2 Likes

Time is my most valuable asset. I doubt I would waste it on wherever it is “Chef Panko” cooks. It takes more than knife skills to put together a menu worth eating.

3 Likes

Why compare to Chef Panko, Charles?

He’s mostly worked as a sushi chef, which requires years of formal training, partly in Japan–unlikely to be even noticed by Westerners–with single beveled exotic knives.

That’s a joke?

He mostly has been reviewing all sorts of knives–especially from a professional user perspective. Doesn’t do much showing off.

Where’s the comparison?

He’s a joke.

And there is no comparison.

I can cut sushi-grade tuna so thin you could read a newspaper through it with a $15 knife from a street vendor in Harlem.

You’re too easily impressed.

4 Likes

I remember doing that trick with tomatoes and onions and mom’s old Ecko when I was a teenager making the salad. It was kept very sharp with one of those pull throughs with interlocking discs.

1 Like