I will not abandon my 8" Wusthof Classic Ikon Chef's Knife, but

Don’t overlook the importance of the big soft wooden butcher block too. I think these soft wooden blocks are universally used for every Cantonese BBQ shops for a reason – to preserve the knife edge as much as possible, and to allow the heavy knives to cut into the wood.

5 Likes

Amen! IMO bamboo and Epicurean boards should be banished. I feel similarly about plastic, but I acknowledge that some do not feel safe if they do not toss their boards in the dishwasher after cutting proteins. I just scrub my wood boards with soap and warm water, rinse them, and put them back in their rack to dry. After over seventy years of eating food prepared on boards that were handled that way, I have never had a food safety incident with our home cooking.

5 Likes

There is 0 worry when using certain French knives :slight_smile:

1 Like

I forgot to take a photo, but last weekend, I saw stainless steel cutting boards. Not only they are stainless steel (some thing I do not believe vast majority home cooks should use), they are stainless steel cutting board embedded in a wood frame. Talk about the irony in this.

Just found this. It looks almost like this, but the frame is wood if I remember correctly.

This is just so funny to me. The message is like:
“Not only this is a steel board to ruin your knife edge, but notice that I could have used wood, but I am using it to frame the steel instead – just as a reminder”

5 Likes

I wish there was more reaction possibilities on this board, like an LMAO button for this one.

4 Likes

I am now thinking… it almost is like a wooden blade knife, with a stainless steel handle. Just imagine a knife like this, but the handle is steel.

4 Likes

And wow look at that big soft wooden butcher block! :heart_eyes:

CK, you’re a cleaver person too. A question to you and other cleaver users.

Is it just me, or is the movement this guy makes, holding the blade on the block and always wanting to know where the blade is: are you guys doing that as well?

It’s so funny but I only do that when I’m using a cleaver, not a gyuto or petty or anything. Always wanting to move the blade on the block before any food needs to be cut.

1 Like

Haha, that move, I don’t so far, but I have flirted with it also :smiley:

1 Like

Ray, not gonna lie, we should definitely go visit Hong Kong. I’ll take you places you won’t have ever seen. You wouldn’t believe it! Food, drinks, culture, tradition, girls: it’s the square root of SOCAL!

Wan Chai, Lan Kwai Fong, there is so much fusion, we can find anything you and me would ever want to find. It’s all there for the taking… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sign me in too, and Ray, you have to Bring your whole fusion knife batterie :wink:

1 Like

Just don’t bring that attitude to constantly offend the local people…

Voi perkele! I think Ray will bring his soft steel knives only! :star_struck:

1 Like

Vitut, he must bring them all :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Chem,

There are quite a few variants on AliExpress. Not SS as we know it. Some involve a new surface technology. Very interesting.

No. I don’t. What I do like is people who just cut and park their knives into the knife blocks. Ha ha ha.

2 Likes

Use end-grain cutting boards.

Poultry shears are a necessity.

Knives at 60 Rc+ are always a chipping risk. Use them on soft tissue and veggies only.

If you own plastic cutting boards then take a look at them in a raking light and tell us where you think all that plastic went.

Cheers!

4 Likes

This move is something I aspire to do also. Not so long ago there was a storm that downed a big pine tree here. I was tempted to go there with a saw!

1 Like

It is not a difficult move at all. Like you said, you just need a softer wood knife block like the pine tree.

You can only do it if you’re a proper boss. For what it’s worth I’ve never seen Chef Panko do this.

But then neither Marco Pierre White! :slight_smile:

I think Chef John rules them all. Also, nice task for a pair of kitchen scissors I hadn’t thought about before! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the wisdom of experience! Plus that is yet another reason I do not use plastic cutting boards. In fact I have pretty much banished plastic except for a big roll of film, the lids on pyrex storage dishes, and the unavoidable elements in modern appliances. Quite honestly if I had a fridge that was not frost free I could ditch the film wrap.

2 Likes