I will not abandon my 8" Wusthof Classic Ikon Chef's Knife, but

Not the same, Vecchiouomo,

I’ve been to and lived in many of these Asian places.

My experiences right now are with home cooks that I often as not meet face to face at the local grocery store, worship with in church, and cook together with when we do small community coop meals.

I also meet weekly with a Japanese collaborator trying to adapt from Japanese to Western Culture.

Not surprised at all!

Your statement obviously means something to you other than what it means to others. To me it is categorically false. This phenomenon of very large Asian populations living in large cities with westerners is quite common. Houston and New York have very large and culturally rich Asian populations.

2 Likes

Charles,

An insult followed by a boast like that doesn’t respond to my point.

It just illustrates your arrogance.

Why are you insulting a fellow Hungry Onion poster?

They are not fusion though.
I wonder if Ray only means SOCAL is the only place with a large Asian population within California.… but even then… it ruled out Bay Area, so I actually do not know what he means.

Yep!

If you feel insulted, you need a little introspection.

“Chef Panko” is objectively worthy of derision.

I could cut product all day long, at a virtuoso level, and not produce a damn thing worth eating.

No, Vecchiouiomo,

I explained clearly the difference between our experiences where there are large Asian communities–especially direct experiences with home cooks.

What you think you know about Asians with a critical mass living with Westerners may be weaker than you think.

Hi Chem,

Who’s insulting whom?

Somebody please check on whether @CCE Is day drunk yet.

2 Likes

You have not explained anything clearly. That is why your threads provoke so many interchanges of this sort.

2 Likes

I’m about to be! :wink:

2 Likes

Probably true, Charles,

but we’re both home cooks these days, and lots of home cooks I hang out with here in SOCAL are Asian.

Ray

I’ve done my best, Vecchiouomo,

but we live in very different worlds. I’m out for now.

1 Like

Ray. Are you trying to be funny? As much as you disagree with Charles, he has years of professional experience in culinary. Maybe he is not 100% correct, and maybe he is even slightly proud. But he has educated and expert opinions. He is not baseless.

However, you do not notice how arrogance you are? In what knowledge base, do you claim to know the Asian community in North America? You are making a much bigger claim than Charles, and then tell Vecchiouomo that he does not know the Houston and New York communities.

3 Likes

I’ve done my best Chem, already,

Nothing further to add to my previous posts.

So what you are saying is that you have no additional data or evidence to back up your claim that Vecchiouomo does not know the New York, Houston, Los Angeles… Asian communities.
New York has twice the Asian population as LA. The Bay Area also has a larger Asian community than Los Angeles.

4 Likes

I have no clue what’s going on in the Southern California Asian community, but it doesn’t seem to gee-haw with the NYC Asian community.

Please forgive the Sunflower, Mississippi slang.

Totally agree!

Thanks, @Chemicalkinetics. I am 73 and have lived in Boston, Newport, NYC, Philly, DC, Norfolk, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, LA, Dallas, Houston, London, Paris, Venice, and a few others. In all of those USA towns I had plenty of cooking interaction with numerous Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Philippine folk. Fusion as most of us know it is pretty straightforward. You learn a cuisine, you move, you adapt your cuisine to the new local ingredients, you learn new tastes. Sometimes you replicate the new tastes but more often you just incorporate new ingredients with those you have already stocked. Simple adaptation to local ingredients, a la Julia Child in MTAOFC is fusion. Moving to Texas and learning to put roasted Jalapeños in Philly cheesesteaks is fusion. Purposefully enjambing diverse cuisines like Loro’s combining of Aaron Franklin barbecue with Tyson Cole Japanese elements, or Chi’lantro’s riffing on both Korean and Mexican in a burger is fusion. A home cook running out of Korean pepper flakes for a Korean dish and subbing peperoncino is fusion. My making harissa with arbols, pasillas, and anchos is fusion. My putting a sharper bevel on my French knives is fusion. My using chopsticks instead of culinary tweezers to construct elegant plating is fusion. Heck, I’ll bet my DNA is fusion.

7 Likes