Hot weather dinners - your favourites

We’re expecting it to cool somewhat overnight, Linda, and be back to normal from tomorrow.

3 Likes

Oooh, yum! Haven’t had one in ages, but is def’ a fav’.

1 Like

That’s been the problem with our current heat wave . . . they still expect 90 F at 9 pm. Even areas that can usually count on cooler temps are hard-hit. My sis and BIL have a house in the Pocono mountains. They opted not to install central AC when they had their heating system installed as it never gets too hot there. She mentioned yesterday that they put a window AC unit in their bedroom. (And she is much more heat tolerant than I.)

2 Likes

There comes a point ita simply miserable.

I’ve been in Vegas when it was 115 with 14% humidity. Not only did the rental agency give me. Potholder with which to open the door (for real) they also asked me to leave the windows open just a bit so as to not blow the windows out. Opening the car door felt like opening an oven.

Miserable.

4 Likes

I avoided home AC for 40+ yrs in Boston. Plenty of ceiling fans, window fans, and regular fans at home. Live in an older house and installing traditional HVAC was just about impossible, and I abhor the window AC units.

Finally succumbed last summer and installed mini splits and now couldn’t be happier. I still avoid cooking in this intense heat and humidity though. The heat alone I can manage through; it’s always the humidity that kills me. Tonight will probably be salmon poke bowl.

9 Likes

I made that leap in 2015, when Twitler rode down that elevator. I signed up for Acorn and Britbox, the best odds at avoiding him. A few months later, I actually caught myself saying “conTRAHversy”. The slug is still hogging the spotlight, and with lousy reception on over-the-air TV stations, I am using Fire TV exclusively.

2 Likes

Day 3 of a 7-day heat wave in the Boston burbs. 95°F/35°C. The previous 2 nights, I cooked a bit at 3:00a.m., when the temp was in the 70’s. But the lowest it’ll go tonight is 80, so I’ll just sit in the dark with the fan on full power until I can no longer stay awake. No A.C. but a massive number of huge trees surround my house. Dinner was cold cucumber salad, bread, and chicken thigh meat that I sliced yesterday, marinated in Kewpie creamy sesame dressing, and baked during the wee-smalls. It only took 20 minutes out of the fridge to come to (warm) room temperature.

2 Likes

hot weather faves round here:

tuna fish salad sandwiches + a salad
cold tortilla espanola
leftover cold chicken, either plain or made into chicken salad
leftover quiche, either eaten cold or briefly microwaved (i know, i know)h

5 Likes

Similar experience here, the mini-split is so efficient and worth every penny. We are very conscientious keeping the heat in or out and with the weather trending towards extremes, it is more important now than it has ever been. Landscape choices, window quilts and food preparation all play into our climate comfort. I gotta bake cookies this morning, darn. I’ll make it quick!

1 Like

Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad. I cook the pasta in the morning and chill it for later.

2 Likes

Anything cold. Cold veg salad, cold pasta salad, cold smoked fish salads. Charcuterie with bread and pickles, tapenade. Gazpacho. Sorbet or cold watermelon for dessert.

2 Likes

Okroshka

Just enough V8 to enable the blender to handle tomatoes, cukes, peppers, onion, garlic, olive oil, Sherry vinegar, salt, and pepper. I am ok skipping the bread. I leave it slightly chunky and drink it from small Duralex glasses.

2 Likes

But they are not great here most of the year… although I heard yesterday from Boa Vista in Apple Hill that they’re in “full harvest mode of their vine ripe tomatoes. Medium and larger size now available”, so I need to get down there.

But for the rest of the year… anybody use canned SM tomatoes for Gazpacho? Always have them on hand, and LUV the juice for Bloody Marys (way better than V8). Would have to open way too many cans for enough juice… so what about just throwing the whole can in the vitamix?

When really nice tomatoes are not available, we use Camparis or grape tomatoes. Both have good flavor.

1 Like

It’s been quite hot in NY here, lately, too. When the summer heat is sapping the life out of us we will often do a vegetable as our “main” and cold stone fruit or melon to go with it. We recently made Smitten Kitchen’s green beans with almond pesto for the first time and have repeated it several times. We’ve also put the pesto on grilled zucchini, along with the tomatoes the recipe calls for. We will be making variations of this all summer long.

2 Likes

Last night’s dinner was cheating street corn (coated in a slurry of Duke’s, Sriracha, and lime and grilled outdoors), Caesar salad, and a small banana shake for dessert made from an extremely ripe banana.

4 Likes

I like to grill kabobs and serve fresh sides. Greek salad, some sweet corn, and some cool drinks. I love kolsch beer on hot days. Mind you, I love in a place that rarely gets to 95, let alone the 115 my mom lives in in Phoenix.

Made summer rolls last night. A bit labor intensive but with a spicy peanut dipping sauce perfect for a hot night. No pics we ate them before I thought of it. These weren’t my best effort. I tried a dif method that looked easier which was to mix the julienned carrots, cukes & noodles etc together like a salad. Usually I have all my neat piles of veg and layer them in individually. The results were a looser roll, still delicious but messy.

8 Likes

I freestyled a cold cucumber yogurt soup and was very happy with it today in this blistering heat.

2 cucumbers
Clove of garlic
Backyard herbs: basil, some oregano, and a handful of lemon verbena
Squeeze of lemon
Rice wine vinegar
Good olive oil
Greek yogurt
Salt and pepper

Blend in blender, chill.

Next experiment: cold beet soup with homegrown beets I pulled up today!

5 Likes