Homemade Ice Cream and Ice Pops

What is the Italian ice cream maker folks have been talking about here? I forgot, and I can’t find it again.

Here you go.

Right, thank you!

1 Like

Decided to try these to use up some yogurt and honestly I don’t like them. They’re too sweet. As someone who doesn’t like plain mangoes due to how sweet they are, I’m often confused by why so many mango recipes contain so much sugar, but I decided to try this as written hoping the yogurt and cream would tame things, but nope. I added significantly more acid to try to make up for how sweet I found the base, but there’s just no fixing this much sugar. The other thing is they’re too rich and creamy. I mentioned this before, but I don’t like popsicles that are basically fruit that’s pureed and frozen. I want a popsicle to actually be icy, juicy, and refreshing. Between the high amount of sugar and then yogurt and cream, these get stuck in an to me kind of gross middle ground between ice cream and popsicle.

2 Likes

I had to order a second set of Onyx popsicle molds. Now I need to give away the plastic Norpro set but here’s my dilemma: the Onyx ones are vastly superior; I was so frustrated using the Norpro ones that I’d feel guilty gifting the inferior set.

I made mango/5% Greek yogurt ones, swirls, but haven’t tasted yet. I added fresh lime juice.

I gave my plastic molds away on our local Buy Nothing group.

1 Like

On the cooking show Delicious Miss Brown she’s using “our” Onyx molds to make Mojito pops … I would only like infused mint, not pieces of mint in the pops. A friend stopped by today, she’s not a big eater but had a blackberry/yogurt one then, later on, a roasted red plum/ yogurt one for the road!

David Lebovitz’s peach frozen yogurt (modified).

I used two XL peaches, which gave me 2 c. of puree (recipe calls for 1.5 c.) The recipe has you poach peaches in ½ c. water and some sugar before making a puree of it to blend with the yogurt. I used ½ c. cream instead of water - heating the cream with only the sugar to dissolve - and ran the peaches through a blender without cooking them to make the puree before adding the cream mixture to it and the yogurt. I gave it a dash of lemon juice (called for), and added 2 T. peach brandy (not called for). I forgot to try and leave a few chunks of peach; I think I would do that next time. I used a KitchenAid stand mixer to churn it. The frozen yogurt ripened overnight in our fridge-freezer, and was scoopable right out of the freezer.

We both think this is absolutely a perfect scoop. Distinctly (albeit not intensely) peachy, as well as soft and creamy.

12 Likes

My goodness, that looks absolutely luscious!

1 Like

ALRIGHT, you’ve convinced me to try *one more time: :slight_smile: Doing it today!

Question:

What kind of yogurt did you use?

I hope it works out for you!

The yogurt I used is nothing fancy: Mountain High Whole Milk (full fat) Plain.

1 Like

Ok. New mixture is chilling overnight; I’ll churn tomorrow. I followed your method and ingredients exactly, even obtaining peach brandy.

1 Like

Churned it. HOLY CRAP was it good. Now I just need the texture not to suck, and I’ll consider my lifelong quest for good homemade peach ice cream/yogurt to have come to a delicious conclusion!!

2 Likes

What’s wrong with texture?

(post deleted by author)

The particular texture (chalky, no scoopability) was not good. Turns out MR had adjusted the recipe we were both using, and kindly shared those adjustment with me. So now I’m hopeful this latest batch will be good.

not to jinx it, but preliminary results are in, and:

YAY!

3 Likes

Yay!!!

1 Like

I’m confused, really want to make this.

Please state final instructions for me to follow for good results.