Homemade Ice Cream and Ice Pops

What follows is Munchkin Redux’s adaptation of a David Lebovitz recipe. Apologies that there aren’t metric measurements, but there aren’t. I peeled my peaches, but I’m not sure she did.

Ingredients:

1.5 lbs (or possibly more) ripe, in-season peaches*
1 cup plain whole milk yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
Dash of fresh lemon juice
2 TBS peach brandy

• You need enough peaches to yield 2 cups peach puree, which is simply plain peaches liquified in a blender. It took me 4 or 5 large peaches.

Directions:

1. Gently heat 1/2 cup heavy cream on the stove to just warm it, and stir in 3/4 cup sugar. Stir until it dissolves. Set aside to cool.

2. Peel and pit peaches and blend enough peaches to create 2 cups peach puree.

3. Combine the pureed peaches, the cooled cream with the dissolved sugar, and 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt in a bowl. Add a dash of lemon juice and 2 TBS peach brandy. Whisk to combine thoroughly. Taste to see if it could use more lemon. I added a pinch of salt at this point.

4. Cover and chill thoroughly (overnight in the fridge,) then churn in an ice cream maker.

5 Likes

I peel my peaches, also. I do the whole thing in the blender. Saves me washing a bowl, and the spout on the blender helps me get more of it in the ice-cream maker and less of it on the counter (I seem to have an issue with that).

ETA: Yes to the salt! I meant to add a pinch this last go-around and forgot.

2 Likes

I think the only reason I didn’t was I was worried it would be too much liquid… small blender :slight_smile:

1 Like

Friends and neighbors, thanks to @MunchkinRedux , I have conquered one of my culinary white whales: peach ice cream/frozen yogurt. (The recipe is sort of a combo of the two, hence the dithering on the name.) It delivers on both flavor and texture, both of which had eluded me to varying degrees in past attempts.

peach ice cream cone aug 22

This has been a long time coming; I made many crappy batches over the last few years.

The complete write-up of the recipe is here. I’ll be making this again in short order before peach season is over.

Mom and I send eternal gratitude, @MunchkinRedux !!!

7 Likes

Yay!! Isn’t that a great feeling? Thanks for sharing the recipe/method also. I have some lovely gifted peaches that may transition into that frozen concoction. Heavenly I bet.

1 Like

Oh, my gosh! You are more than welcome! Honestly, I’ve learned so much from this community over the last few years, I’m happy to have a chance to contribute to someone’s happiness, as well.

We’re on board with another batch before peach season is over - we were just talking about that today as we enjoyed another perfect scoop!

5 Likes

Thanks to you too, appreciate the sharing spirit here!

2 Likes

I just churned another batch of the great peach frozen yogurt/ice cream I’ve been crowing about upthread. It was made exactly the same as the first batch, with the same ingredients from the same containers/batches. I simply chilled the base much longer than my usual 12 or 18 hours; this one was chilled somewhere between 36 and 48 hours before churning. As a result, it turned out differently.

Note that the base was not colder. I always check the temp of my bases before churning, and this one was the same as the previous peach base earlier this week (41F.)

It seemed to me that the base became ice cream much faster, churned up much fluffier, and kept that volume as I transferred it into the container. I hardly had room for all of it in the same-sized container as the first batch; I had to do some emergency tasting to get it to fit :slight_smile:

I wonder if there’s a reason for the difference in volume.

Churned at the same speed as always?

My machine only has one speed…

1 Like

I’ve had that happen too! My hypothesis is that some of the liquid gets absorbed somehow - which batch did you prefer?

the newest one is unsampled as of yet.

The saga of @MunchkinRedux 's peach frozen yogurt/ice cream recipe continues!

I crowed about it to to a non-HO friend, also a culinary adventurer, but someone whose sweet tooth is FAR less ferocious than mine. She has occassionally made dessert recipes I loudly championed, only to admit she found them just too sweet. So when she jumped on the peach frozen yogurt recipe, as a way of christening her brand new ice cream maker, and even ventured out (as I had done) for the exotic ingredient of peach brandy… I was a little nervous.

HOORAY, she also loves it, and put it a photo of it on Twitter, and other people asked her for the recipe just like she asked me for it, and now more people will make it :peach: :peach: :peach:

Turns out a good ice cream recipe (and a little social media) goes a long way!

5 Likes

I want to make this but where to get cheap peach brandy … do they have tiny bottles at BevMo?

Not to step on anyone’s toes, but while I’m sure peach brandy is wonderful in this, you could likely just use regular brandy or something like bourbon, which is very nice with peaches if you don’t want to buy a bottle and can’t get a small one.

2 Likes

yeah! you could also simply leave it out.

i personally find it difficult to really get nice peach flavor in ice cream, which is why i glommed on to the peach brandy suggestion - alcohol in ice cream has many benefits (scoopability being one of them) but i really hoped it would amp up the peachiness.

1 Like

But I want it!

well then put on your pants and go find some.

1 Like

I say go for the big bottle! Peach brandy also is good in peach pies, over fresh peaches, canned as brandied peaches, and probably a few other uses I’m not thinking of but would be partial to. :yum:

2 Likes

I have never had peach brandy but I don’t like brandy. However, Peachtree Schnapps is another story. I used to put it in peaches when I was canning and it was great.

1 Like