Homemade Ice Cream and Ice Pops

mouth watering!

Assuming it’s too rich to eat as is, could you salvage in some way that cuts the richness?

Maybe layer with a light chocolate sponge (or nikla wafers or Graham crackers or similar) for an icebox cake / desert or something like that?

Who were the blackberries from?

There were 3 different vendors of blackberries, you can taste samples now. One vendor was noticeably better, sweeter so I bought from him. When I go tomorrow I’ll get the name. I told him I’d bring him a paleta made from his blackberries; I put a reminder on my front door so I won’t forget!

I’m thinking of buying the expensive ss molds ($38!) for 6, that Serious Eats likes. I don’t know if my math is good enough to adjust, recipes are for 10!

These are seriously good!

2 Likes

As long as everything is in grams it should be no problem making only 3/5ths or 60% of a recipe.

I bought the expensive ice pop molds recommended by Serious Eats. I’m so glad I sprung for them.

With my former cheap plastic molds half of the ice pop would routinely break off and I would have to dig it out of the mold.

These ice pop molds release completely and almost instantly.

3 Likes

Have just been comparing the lists from Serious Eats vs Wirecutter. (Cook’s Illustrated is usually my go-to, but strangely they are silent on the matter of popsicle molds!)

Serious Eats

1. Overall winner: Onyx POP004 Stainless Steel Popsicle Mold ($38)
  2. Best affordable: Ozera Reusable Ice Pop Molds ($12)

Wirecutter

1. Overall winner: Tovolo Classic Pop Molds ($14)
  2. Also-Greats: Tovolo Penguin Pop Molds ($16 ), Zoku Fish Pop Molds ($23) and Lékué Tropical Fruit Ice Pop Molds ($19)

I was wondering, because the best blackberries I know are from Medina Berry Farm. They are always great, with every berry in the basket perfectly ripe and sweet. They sell at various local farmers markets, and nearest to, their berries me are often available at Market Hall Produce in Oakland.

Yes, the farmers market is at Śtonestown, 10 minutes from home. A few weeks ago the Frog Hollow stand had mulberries … I’d never seen them before, never tasted. They were $8 for a shallow box so I passed. My daughter bought and let me try … incredible. Now, no more. They are also at the Ferry Building on Saturdays.

The Ozera molds were the ones that my ice pops kept breaking in.

2 Likes

I know you have apricots, so I was just wondering if you’ve considered making DL’s apricot ice cream from The Perfect Scoop. It might be worth a shot if you’re looking for a use for them. Or the sorbet. Apricot sorbet is always great!

There’s also my favorite, Max Falkowitz’s roasted apricot and almond ice cream (which I believe mig has made, probably because I go on about it every year).

2 Likes

Yes indeed, I made that a couple years ago. Tremendous.

That’s an idea!

1 Like

Rainbow

I arrived at 11 am and they were packed up, leaving, sold out. Gave “Tim” a paleta made with 5% Fage and his blackberries.

I made it a few years ago on your recommendation and love it so much!

1 Like

From People’s Pops I made Roasted Plum Paletas, actually, from Flavor King Pluots. I tried out new Onyx molds, so much better but $41 for 6 molds. Releases like a dream, stands upright nicely.

I just tried one and it seemed a bit soft but still delicious . I wonder if I added enough simple syrup. I prefer the blackberry with 5% Fage yogurt.

5 Likes

I think it was a bit soft because it was just removed from mold … I should have wrapped it up and put back on a tray in the freezer for a while.

2 Likes

I used pineapples that my husband brought back from Hawaii to make Stella Parks’ Pineapple Ice Cream.

First off, the pineapples from Hawaii are much more flavorful than the ones I buy locally (Los Angeles, CA). The Hawaiian pineapples are also much more expensive.

The ice cream is delicious. The pineapple flavor comes through loud and clear. One of the many things I appreciate about Stella Parks is her advice on how flavorings can boost the flavor of the main ingredient. In this case she says that a tiny amount of vanilla boosts pineapple’s flavor.

I used the maximum amount of white rum called for in the recipe. The ice cream doesn’t taste at all like rum to me, but the texture is nice and soft even after a few days in the freezer (which I keep at zero degrees Fahrenheit). I bought white rum for the recipe. One of the commenters on the recipe said that they used dark rum and regretted it.

I appreciate that the recipe calls for whole eggs because I have limited use for egg whites. As I know that several people here will recommend angel food cake; I dislike angel food cake. I like financiers, but anything that uses exclusively egg whites goes stale quickly and we are a family of two.

I sure wish that Stella Parks would return to Serious Eats.

4 Likes