What are you baking? September 2022

So I also forgot the parchment :joy:. In my defense I don’t find it necessary for focaccia and this is similar, so that’s how that likely happened. I only managed to get a few out of the pan completely intact.
Overall they turned out pretty well. They are DELICIOUS! Next time I’ll make sure to develop the gluten better when mixing. They split nicely for the sandwiches.

8 Likes

Last piece of Hungarian shortbread from Baking with Julia. I love anything with rhubarb and delicious. A rich shortbread-like dough with added egg yolks and bit of baking powder is frozen, then grated into a pan and topped with a quick rhubarb jam and the other half of the grated dough. As part of my ‘clean out the freezer before I move’ effort, the last bag of rhubarb had to go. I usually halve the dough recipe for this, but use the full amount of rhubarb and bake in a 20cm square tin. This time, I left the rhubarb a bit too runny so the bottom layer was a bit soft. I ended up keeping these in the fridge and eating them cold, something I rarely do. They went down a treat at our first staff meeting before school begins and I got to keep the 4 that wouldn’t fit in my container. Win-win!

12 Likes

That is an absolute stunner of a pie.

2 Likes

Thank you!

when I was reading your description of freezing-then-grating, i thought to myself “ah yes, i’ve made this…” but now i’m not so sure.

everything cake with peach frozen yog
Dorie Greenspan’s “Everything Cake” (here with peaches, Italian prune plums and a sprinkling of almonds) with homemade peach frozen yogurt.

First time making the Dorie cake. As I mentioned upthread, I had a wee mishap with the oven involving… not turning the oven on until it had been in there for at least 20 minutes. Oops!

I like the cake, though. The technique of adding melted butter last into the recipe was new to me. I was concerned the butter wasn’t really combining with the other ingredients; ultimately I guess it did. The crumb was very fine and close-textured. I topped it with about 3/4 of a peach, a half a prune plum, some regular sugar, and almonds, and substituted some lemon oil for half of the vanilla.

Will make again!

14 Likes

I have made a similar recipe from SK https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/12/austrian-raspberry-shortbread/

THAT IS WHAT I MADE! Thank you.

Pretty sure my reaction was “I don’t need to make this again,” but I’m intrigued by the rhubarb version and plan to try it!

I make the recipe every Christmas ( so much better now with the food processor!)

Glad to be a positive influence! :wink:

Pignoli cookies — Helped my friend bake these today.

Really delicious - a bit chewy, marzipan-y, nutty.

I’m going to try these on my own soon.

15 Likes

I made brownie cookies, and much like brownies, they do pretty much nothing for me. The rye sourdough chocolate cookies are still one of the few chocolate-heavy cookies I really love .

8 Likes

I can’t even understand that. I made brownies almost every day I was pregnant with my firstborn. I don’t know how he ended up with blue eyes!

3 Likes

Are they sturdy enough to be packaged and mailed?

Thanks for this - I too have rhubarb in the freezer and LOVE anything rhubarb.

1 Like

Hmm… I have never tried, but it might be with very, very careful wrapping?

I slightly overbaked a regular pie crust the other day. I put it aside and made another one (blind baked for a fresh berry pie) and now I’m just eating the “overcooked” one plain, like a giant cookie.

Oy.

3 Likes

I love plain pie crust - so buttery and just a hint of sweetness. DH loves BURNT plain pie crust so your “mistake” is basically heaven for him!

1 Like

i finally had to throw it away to stop eating it.

That SK recipe is one of my all-timers. Pistachio frangipane… it’s indescribably delicious.

What did you use for the tart shell? Pate sucree?