Holiday Baking and Treats, 2023

That sounds delicious . Is there a recipe you could share ?

Here it is but it is behind a paywall/sign up wall

1 Like

Gearing up, slowly, gathering ingredients and deciding how to free up freezer space. Monday I got 10 pounds of flour, on sale, knowing I’ll use at least that much. And just this morning I looked at my ambitious 2022 list with calculations of the flour, sugar, butter needed for that plan. There were a couple of wish-list / time-permitting cookie recipes that will carry forward to this year.

4 Likes

I started making my spreadsheet today too! Man I enjoy this part :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I try to make the appointments before Halloween before the ''sweet season" because after that, it doesn’t end until after Easter.:dizzy_face::lollipop::cake::shaved_ice:

1 Like

“Great minds, think alike” - Carl Theodor von Unlanski

Yes… After the 20th, I can start baking sweets, again!! YEA!!

I made the “spiced plum butter” from Luisa Weiss’ “Classic German Baking” with my last purple plums of the year, and stowed it safely away to use in December with a cookie recipe she has called “gingerbread pockets.” I hadn’t made the cookies before but I loved the idea of gingerbread with plum butter. And the butter came out delicious so I was excited to use it.

Anyway, today I did an image search for these cookies (I love that cookbook but there aren’t very many photos!) and I was a little disappointed. The cookies are really blah-looking.

So now I have this delicious plum butter that I want to make a yummy cookie with, but I need a new recipe.

Of course I could use the jam in any linzer or thumbprint cookie, but then I don’t get the gingerbread hit I’m looking for.

There are a couple recipes online for a Ukranian/Russian sandwich cookie with plum butter. It’s also not gingerbread; it’s shortbread, plum butter, and a cream cheese filling between two cookies. Kind of interesting.

Here’s a plum butter sandwich cookie where the butter cookies have cardamom flavor. I made cardamon-plum butter for several years and the combo is fantastic.

These little gingerbread-plum butter cakelets are the closest thing I could find, but I think these are too fragile to toss into a holiday cookie box. They look delicious, though.

1 Like

What about some kind of gingerbread cut-out cookie rolled thin made into sandwiches, maybe with a window in the top à la linzer cookies?

That’s what I think I want but I need a recipe because gingerbread is kinda tricky.

I think the gingerbread pockets sound good.

1 Like

Gingerbread rugelach?

2 Likes

Cookies of all types do surprisingly well in boxes / mailed. When the chocolate coating has dried, just nestle those cakelets in crumpled waxed paper inside a ziplock bag or small gift box and they’ll be fine. Friends brought me similar treats from Germany last Christmas. Here’s the recipe I found for homemade Dominosteine https://www.inspirationforall.de/en/dominosteine-recipe/

1 Like

“loved the idea of gingerbread with plum butter.”
I buy a commercial lebkuchen stuffed with apricot or plum butter at the Polish store. Some are shaped like hearts.

2 Likes

I’ve found that you have to be extra careful mailing shortbread.

1 Like

Yes, those were my favorite commercial cookie in Poland. Pierniczki.

1 Like

Welcome to HO! First off - LOVE your HO name - that’s a throwback to the mid 1960s! :smiley:

And there’s an introduction thread here if you’ve not already posted about yourself. This is the end of a VERY long thread, but you can scroll to the top to see how @sck started the thread, and to read about some of us.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

This thread is going to be dangerous. Or advantageous for my coworkers, if I get a burst of energy and want to bake for them for the holidays. :smiley:

Used to bake for my Mom and stepfather - he loved the Orange-Spiced Chewies I used to make (can’t find the recipe I use online, although I’m positive I’ve posted it before - will have to search at home to see if they’re similar to the ones linked below…ETA: I do remember that mine have dried orange peel mixed in with the sugar to roll the dough balls in - so there’s a difference there, plus mine uses vegetable oil, not butter), and several other cookies. But my sister and BIL don’t like a lot of sweets (although my BIL won’t turn them down!), so I don’t do a lot of cookie baking anymore.

4 Likes

They’ll be getting a letter from my lawyers shortly.

1 Like

The first link in your post isn’t “another,” it’s the exact recipe I started with. :slight_smile:

And the other link you posted I already linked in my original post.
The “everyday delicious” one.

1 Like