Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

Our local/regional clown was named Whizzo.
His real name was Frank Wizardi.
We got a syndicated Bozo but he never made personal appearances.
I still watch Sven.

1 Like

This is bringing back memories of listening to Bozo records that told a story. As one side concluded and Bozo was cuing up what was next, he’d say, “Ah! After we change the record.” Yes, I am much older than eight tracks and remember shifting over to LPs in the early fifties. I remember those horrible needles in kids’ phonos. They did not last long and were gouging the records as they played. I liked my father’s system much better.

2 Likes

Romanian food … cool. So, mamaliga, papanasi, and chiftelute?
(My ex-gf was from Romania.)

All three of those look and sound wonderful. I rarely use a recipe, but for these I might. Maybe all three in one meal, with a vegetable, maybe mancare de mazare.

1 Like

I’d like to get to this point, but I’m not really very close yet. With most pasta dishes I make (e.g. clam linguine and shrimp scampi are family favorites) and some American style dishes (casseroles, chili, stews, roasts, etc.) I know what I’m doing and don’t need the recipe. Some Chinese-influenced stir-fries, too. But only a few of those that I’ve done repeatedly.

But with Thai, Indian or West African/Haitian dishes, even if I have a good grasp of all the ingredients, I still can’t recall the amounts to use and/or which are for the meat/tofu/paneer marinade, vs. which go in the gravy, so I always have to consult the recipes. Same with making pho, each time I have to carefully follow a recipe.

And I say this after having made murgh makhani (butter chicken) at least six times in the last two months (it is a favorite of my MIL, who’s not well, so I’m happy to indulge her and everyone else loves it, too).

You’d think I’d have it down by now… but nope, I have to pull up the recipe each time. At least I finally got smart a few weeks ago, and bookmarked the two I’ve been hybridizing and made myself some notes about how I’m using bits from each for the whole.

2 Likes

I totally understand. Now and then I go back to a recipe just to see how far I have drifted.

3 Likes

New to the forum here and ready to learn! AND teach!

5 Likes

Welcome! Are you in Florida (your handle)? My son lived for a bit. We are from NY but now In Nor Cal

Another welcome! always happy to see a new member from the Sunshine State.

Welcome! I look forward to learning and sharing!

1 Like

Welcome! We are also in Florida. Where are you?

1. New York City
  2. Barbecue
  3. Cooking for a former President
  4. I was a professional chef for 23 years because the smell of my father’s cooking and the wintery drift of fireplace smoke were my two favorite sensory experiences and I wanted other people to feel the way I did about food because of them.
12 Likes

Well, I’m glad you took my advice and came over here. There’s a BBQ thread going on that you should step in (I mean “contribute to”). Welcome Matt. Join our NYC group meals.

3 Likes

Welcome! The world needs more barbecue!

2 Likes

We’re still on the 2023 thread.
Sounds like a good opportunity to start the 2024 thread.
And welcome, Matt!
:smiling_face:

2 Likes

:wave: :wave: :wave:

2 Likes

:v: :v: :v:

there is a rifftrax of a whizzo christmas special that introduced me to this clown. he’s “something”. https://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax-christmas-circus

1 Like

Thanks!
:cowboy_hat_face:

More good barbecue, John – the kind you find for us.

1 Like