Holiday Baking and Treats, 2023

Oops. I post on a smartphone and I miss a lot. Mea culpa. I’m also going through a lot of stuff right now and I’m not at my best.

3 Likes

No worries!

:hugs:.

1 Like

Are there any fruitcakes you have made that are delicious and are “lookers”? As in, have legitimate
visual appeal ?

2 Likes

I think some of the British marzipan-topped ones are cute. I made mini fruitcakes 2 years ago, and I thought they were cute. I liked this recipe. I used muffin tins and baked until they have been were done.

I’ve also made mini Stollen.

1 Like

Pierre Herme’s Chocolate Sables (aka Dorie Greenspan’s World Peace Cookies).

Let the holiday baking begin. Since it’s mostly just the two of us, I’m attempting to start early and make small batches. Hopefully that way we’ll get to enjoy a taste of everything that’s on my list to bake without overdoing it.

I love these for their ultra-chocolatey-bordering-on-decadant experience.

18 Likes

I usually make “Elvis Presley’s favorite pound cake”, chocolate bark, “candied” pecans, and pepper jelly, I don’t do much baking but I want to hitch a ride on this thread, and participate vicariously!

7 Likes

Do you freeze, or simply wrap and store?

They turned out so nice and round. Its a hard dough to handle

1 Like

Here’s to you making it through to the other side better than ever!

1 Like

The unbaked sable dough freezes well (shape into logs before freezing). Once baked, I just store in a tin. They evaporate pretty quickly. I’ve never tried freezing them after baking, but I’m curious.

I scooted them with a biscuit cutter as soon as they came out of the oven. I love that part - it’s like magic.

3 Likes

Look at those pools!

I have to try this.

1 Like

I love this cookie, and make some version of it about every other month.

1 Like

Chocolate babka, based on a recipe from Standard Baking Company Pastries.

Modifications and notes include:

1. I reduced the flour and water by 25 g. each, and added 50 g. sourdough discard. The authors suggest adding a few drops of lemon oil for tang, but I like the flavor of the sourdough to the same effect.

2. I used Valhrona for the Dutch process cocoa in the spread. For the cookie crumbs in the filling, I used a few of the chocolate sables which I made the other day, intentionally over-baked until crunchy enough to smash up.

3. I added 1/3 c. chopped walnuts on top the filling before rolling up the loaf.

4. In lieu of the streusel topping, I used 50/50 raw sugar and more chopped walnuts.

This is the second time I’ve made this loaf, and I’m really pleased with the recipe.

23 Likes

Awesome, that’s a real beauty!

3 Likes

Thank you! It’s a fun project, and it tastes as good as it looks. :yum:

2 Likes

Absolutely beautul…it looks like an ancient pottery art design inside!

6 Likes

I’m not much of a sweet eater, but have a complete weakness for babka and this looks incredible! I also love the Standard Baking Company! My husband got me that book awhile back, but I haven’t baked from it yet. You’ve inspired me to change that! Have you made anything else from it?