Holiday Baking and Treats, 2023

Here we are, on the cusp of the 2023 winter holidays. I’m starting my German gingerbread this weekend, so it’s time to fire this topic up for the year.

What are you planning?

4 Likes

Gingerbread sounds so good… I need to check my recipe and see what ingredients I don’t have. I think all I need is molasses.
Both Sunshine & I have routine yearly doctor’s visits coming up in the next two weeks, so I’m holding off on baking treats/sweets. But after that… I’m making some gingerbread cookies!! YEA!!

5 Likes

I bought some holiday cookie stamps I want to use this year. I’m thinking of a soft, iced gingerbread. Not necessarily the following recipe, but something does deliver the results seen in the photo.

If anyone has any favorite, suitable recipe, I’m all ears.

1 Like

I got this recipe off of a TASTY video on youtube, so I can’t take credit for it. It is the one that I use! Make sure you have a large enough pot or large enamel cast iron dutch oven for this recipe. It really is good!!

Gingerbread Cookies

Dry Ingredients

3 cups of Flour (sifted)

2 teaspoons of cinnamon

¼ teaspoon of nutmeg

¼ teaspoon of allspice

2 teaspoons of ginger

½ teaspoon of baking powder

1 teaspoon of baking soda

1 teaspoon of salt

Wet Ingredients

½ cup of butter

¾ cup of molasses

½ cup of brown sugar

1 teaspoon of vanilla

1 egg (beaten)

In a pot (over stove) medium high heat, melt butter, add molasses, add sugar and mix with wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat add vanilla and beaten egg, mix well. In a separate large bowl mix dry ingredients well. Reduce heat even more, slowly add dry ingredients and mix well. Remove from stove, place mixture on cutting board allow to cool enough to knead. Knead slightly and wrap in cling film, chill overnight.

Next day, allow dough to come up to room temperature Flour cutting board and roll out to ¼ inch thickness. Utilize cookie cutters to cut out various cookies, place on parchment paper on cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees. Place cookies on cooling rack, when cool enjoy.

I imagine at this point you could add icing if you like.

*** I store these cookies in the refrigerator ***

4 Likes

I need to get the ingredients to make Alton Brown’s Aged Egg Nog. They are expensive but it is really good. I actually usually wind up making 2 batches–1 a few months ahead of time and then another when I’ve finished the first. It doesn’t get aged but is still delicious. https://altonbrown.com/recipes/aged-eggnog/

4 Likes

Totally did not need to buy this. And yet.

7 Likes

oh no. I blame you for my future purchase of this.

5 Likes

Its a great book. I love it and all her books

2 Likes

My cousins and my favorite aunt made some fantastic gingersnaps. I add some chopped sugared ginger too, but the rest is Aunt Ginny’s.

Aunt Ginny’s Gingersnaps
¾ c. crisco or ½ ea butter, crisco
1 c. sugar
¼ c molasses
1 egg
2 c. flour
¼ t salt
2 t. baking soda
½ t. cloves
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. ginger
*chopped crystallized ginger

 Cream sugar and shortening
 Add egg and molasses
 Beat well
 Add dry ingredients
 Roll into 1” balls/ spoon out with teaspoon
 Roll in sugar
 Bake @ 375 for 10-13 minutes (Nancy says 11)
 Cookies will rise up and then fall flat when done

5 Likes

There are quite a few things I want to make right now in this thing.

1 Like

I’m so excited to make this my first post on here! I recently found this when looking for a replacement for CH.

I started planning my holiday baking a few weeks ago. So far I have:

Gingerbread men
Cut out sugar cookies
Coconut cranberry cookies
Gingerbread latte cookies
Homemade caramel corn
Mexican hot cocoa cookies
Cinnamon rolls
Coffee cake
Possibly a gingerbread house
Will update as I add more

I will start making a few doughs a freezing them this week.

9 Likes

This is a great book! I have several similar ones too. I’m a little crazy with holiday baking!

Can share more about these (or point me to a recipe if there’s one online)?

2 Likes

When I went through my cookie stamp phase, I made these first, and i remember it was kind of a PITA. The comments all say dough too crumbly, which is my recollection as well.

Then I made two View from Great Island recipes, the original one that was posted, and then a version that had a bit of chocolate in it. I remember I liked the latter better. Bonus, the darker cookie also showed the stamp and the glaze better…which, if you’re going to go to all that work, is definitely a factor.

1 Like

Here you are. I made them last year. I think I tweaked the recipe a bit, but I didn’t write down what I did.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting those links! They both look great - maybe especially the chocolate one.

Will give it a try and post results.

Thanks!

1 Like

Pfeffernüsse
Moravian Spice Cookies
Gingerbread with Crystalized Ginger and Pear Nectar
Mince Pies
Mini Linzer Tortes
I have an affinity for Spices!

3 Likes

With pear nectar? Tell me more ‘

Pear Nectar is the liquid used along with the Molasses, Eggs and Brown Sugar