Happy birthday to me

I was born 70 years ago. I got an awesome present from my spouse today. The best man at our wedding 43 years ago has a son in Maine who makes custom knives. DH sent some black walnut to him from a tree my father cut down in the 1960’s. We’ve incorporated wood from that tree in a mantel, a bathroom vanity and a staircase in our home on Cape Cod (DH is a wood artist). So Nick Rossi made a folded stainless steel knife for me and used my father’s black walnut for the handle…Most expensive knive I’ve ever known…

Add images here

30 Likes

The true value of that knife will never be a cash sum. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

4 Likes

Happy birthday and many returns of the day

2 Likes

Happy Birthday!

2 Likes

Happy Birthday!!! What an incredible present that is! Beautiful, thoughtful, meaningful and absolutely gorgeous too!!!

Also, excellent day for a birthday, it’s mine too. :blush:

8 Likes

@retrospek,
Happy Birthday !
Gorgeous knife love the blade it’s extra special because of the shape and history of the wood handle.
Have you decided what task will Christen your new knife?

1 Like

@GretchenS,
Happy Birthday to you as well.
Many happy returns.

2 Likes

Happy birthday to you AND @GretchenS

2 Likes

Happy Birthday! :smiley:

2 Likes

Fantastic - happy birthday!

1 Like

My husband will handle it on it’s Maiden Voyage. It’s scary sharp and I’m afraid of it!!

3 Likes

What a beauty! Happy birthday @retrospek
:wink::birthday:

3 Likes

@GretchenS Happy birthday!!
:partying_face: :cake:

There used to be a time that HO celebrates birthday, with a cake emoji after your user name on birthday. I guess nobody wanted that!

4 Likes

Happy birthday and congratulations on that extraordinary knife. Use it in good health and happiness.

3 Likes

Love this story about your birthday gift, @retrospek. Wishing you many, many years of enjoyment!

3 Likes

Hope you had an excellent birthday, @GretchenS!

4 Likes

Happy birthday, and that is one gorgeous knife! I’m sure having yet another item from your father’s tree will be just as special as the other items (the black walnut bathroom vanity sounds like a beautiful use!)

I have a child’s walker and a small child’s chair made by my Grandpa from a black walnut tree that grew in his yard in central PA. He carved my older brother’s name and mine in the bottom of the chair (he passed before my younger sister was born so her name isn’t on there), so they’re extra special to me as well.

And a happy birthday to @GretchenS !

6 Likes

What a beautiful and meaningful gift.

I urge you to use the heck out of it, not store it away somewhere. Also, even though you say it’s made of SS, I would only handwash and promptly dry it.

Happy Birthday, indeed!

Oh, and for this 'smith’s work: https://nickrossiknives.com/

5 Likes

Looks great, retrospek,

Now try it out on some carrots–and make some celebrity carrotcake for the after birthday celebration.

Ray

4 Likes

Happy one, Gretchen

Ray

4 Likes