[Greater Boston, MA] Portuguese and Azorean foods

yep, Courthouse and its neighboring fish shop, New Deal, in Cambridge are wonderful, both run by Portuguese families, I think. Do you prefer Courthouse to Neal Deal? Reminds me I need to stop by to get supplies for fish stock.

2 Likes

Oh, believe it or not, Madrid, I’ve never been to New Deal! I always head to Courthouse because they have the chouriço from Fall River MA that my son likes, and they have small bottles of piri piri. Of course, the fish is pristine. I’ve only heard amazing things about New Deal and need to make it there.

3 Likes

Thanks for the bonus detail, @bear. Lately I have been craving Portuguese and Azorean foods. Never been to Courthouse or New Deal and either or both look worth a visit.

2 Likes

Oh, Denise, if you’re in the area, in addition to Courthouse and New Deal (which I believe has a slightly more eclectic grocery selection) you may want to check out Fernandes Market in Inman Sq., Cambridge. It’s a small market, but they have a nice selection of Portuguese cheeses, olives, salt cod, groceries, etc. Another classic old-school gem.

3 Likes

A tasty dinner at the Azorean Restaurant and Bar in Gloucester has whetted my appetite for Portuguese and Azorean food of late. The place was hopping at dinnertime on a recent Saturday evening. I’ll try to post a better description soon.

4 Likes

this is further afield so maybe not very helpful - but oh man, we had an awesome meal at antonio’s in new bedford two weeks ago after the new bedford half marathon. it’s one of my favorites sundays of the year! i was in heaven. i love azorean/portuguese food. we split portuguese fried fish (Fresh fillets of fish marinated in white wine, lemon and garlic, then fried to perfection) that came with awesome rice, salad, green olives and homemade potato chips and the littlenecks and shrimp sautéed in a zesty saffron sauce with garlic. omg my mouth is watering just thinking about it. IMG_0650

6 Likes

New Bedford is near enough for a road trip! Thank you for the pointer to Antonio’s and that photo that’s making me wish dinnertime were sooner.

5 Likes

I like both, but I probably go to New Deal more often. The nice thing with Courthouse is their fish shop next door, so if you happen to be hungry you can grab a nice plate of seafood next door.

I’ve never been, but a Cape Verdean friend whose family cooks a lot of Portuguese food or Portuguese inspired food as well swears by this place: Portugalia Marketplace. He’s on the South Shore so I think this is an easy hop; not so much for me, since I’m car-less. He says it’s the family’s new HQ for all their Portuguese food needs.

4 Likes

Oh, that Portugalia Marketplace looks alluring.

Just checked out their online products quickly, and I see they carry Santa Caterina tinned tuna, lightly marinated in various sauces, from the Azores. I carried a couple of tins back from a visit to Lisbon and now I have a way to source it closer to home. Thank you!

1 Like

My son and daughter-in-law love Portugalia Marketplace!

2 Likes

Whenever I have to go back to my home town of New Bedford, I make sure to grab some food at Antonio’s, simply awesome. The malasadas (Portuguese fried dough) at Ma’s Donuts in the North End is pretty spectacular, as are the sweet bread and custard pies at Lydia’s Bakery.

3 Likes

Wow, I can see a Fall River / New Bedford road trip in my near future, thanks for these awesome tips! Both Antonio’s and Portugalia Marketplace look fabulous.

2 Likes

Or come to the Azores with me and my family. We’re heading there this July.

4 Likes

Can’t wait to read that trip report!!!

4 Likes

As I told @GretchenS come to the Azores with us this July for the ultimate road trip / HOdown!

4 Likes