What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

Saltimbocca - well kind of, especially outdoor sage was still recovering from winter with new small leaves, I used rosemary… fatty pork filet with shit-ton of minced garlic (ha! the more the better), finely chopped rosemary, black pepper, and shit-load of olive oil, everything wrapped around with prosciutto. Cooked in oven for about 40 minutes around 190ºC, first 15 minutes covered with a parchment paper. Served with white asparagus and pea sprouts, drizzled with vinegar and hazelnut oil.

Sesame chicken - steamed whole chicken for 30 minutes with Shaxing wine, 5 spice, salt and chicken powder. The recipe asked to wash the chicken (I skipped this step) and directly brushed egg white on the skin and sprinkled sesames then deep fried the whole bird in oil, which I also changed to oven grilled. I guess that was why I didn’t get the golden yellow crispy chicken.

Spinach with oyster sauce.

Bò bún - with store bought frozen spring rolls, cha lua with rice noodles.

And excellent Thai mango coconut milk sticky rice with a savoury note. Steaming the rice, instead of using the rice cooker makes a great difference in the texture or rice. We tested with 2 types of mangoes, one from Peru and another from Cambodia. For this dessert, the Cambodian worked better. But our day to day mango remains Peruvian.

Recipe:
https://www.wokandskillet.com/thai-mango-with-sticky-rice/

14 Likes

Have been absent of cooking for the last week or two… something work related but temporary. I am sooo glad you tried the Guatita.
Your adjusted version, albeit with perhaps some more peanut butter and liquid , is what mine normally turns out as.
Cooking the tripe a bit longer should not be a problem, as I do like a little toughness, but that is strictly a personal choice.

I do generally buy a lot more tripe than I need, clean it and cook it, but not all of the way. I portion it out , usually for two or three times so it become a pretty quick dish to prepare.

2 Likes

We had an epic feast with our buddy @corvette_johnny Sunday at Chengdu 1 Palace in Green Brook, NJ. We had a ton of excellent spicy Sichuan food. Below is a link to the details and pictures.

4 Likes

Actually, the dish should taste very strongly the presence of peanut butter or rather subtle?

thanks for all your great cataplana advice! I hope to clear out room and then come back to your posts.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Portuguese and Azorean foods [Greater Boston, MA]

hope that metallutil for $60 is still available. Metallutil is a great product but I think they are all round bottom. If you have gas stove, that is OK

Burgers from the George Forman (oh, hurry Spring!), and boiled Yukon Gold Potatoes. Not shown are spears of Vlasic Kosher Dill Pickles.

5 Likes

I made enchiladas! I don’t know if I’ve ever even had these but I really liked this version. Filled with beef and black beans. The sauce came together quickly. Lots of spices simmered in a thick tomato paste and stock sauce. Yummm!

IMG_20190325_175346062

16 Likes

Kids visiting, and dim sum at Yank Sing!

IMG_20190324_143100

IMG_20190324_143107

Okay, that was “breakfast”, not dinner. Son is making dinner, and I’m baking a cake.

I knew they were coming, so…

16 Likes

Meera Sodha’s cod in green coconut chutney, kale salad with avocado, tomatoes, cranberries and pepitas, and cucumber-tomato salad in yogurt. I had a little quinoa-bulgur mix under the fish as well. Baby ate…a bite.

15 Likes

Tonight was leftover Hatch chile mac and cheese with a hybrid bechamel/sodium citrate sauce. I was pretty happy with the texture and flavor of the sauce but should have added more chiles, onions and garlic and left the veggies in larger pieces. Too bad my plating covers up the nice brown crusty pieces on the top.

For dessert, leftover banana pudding with homemade vanilla wafers from Smitten Kitchen’s blog.(Talk about a dairy-heavy meal!) It was good but I’m not sure I’ll make it again.

12 Likes

Green coconut chutney sounds fabulous…
and obviously the babe is holding out for salmon :joy: (this is known as the parental training phase)

3 Likes

Everything in the bowl…! The usual suspects plus some red bell pepper and scallions, with kimchi vinegrette
Side of that heinous peanut wheat gluten that i’m going to spare you another image of.
Kombucha to drink.
I may christen the new jar of peanut butter for dessert with my tea, there are a few dates left so I’ll schmear some on those

7 Likes

Recipe?? I always mess them up . Thanks

Carolina rice!

The cake.

Also want to park this here.

How to Make a Cake Like BraveTart: The Complete Guide

11 Likes

Carolina red rice - homey comfort food. I used Cochon bacon and andouille sausage (rather than smoked beef because it’s what i had) with lashings of Frank’s Red Hot. a very dull green salad on the side.

my lunch salad today (a Chinese chicken salad, of sorts, made with black vinegar and sesame oil) was much better but would not have paired well.

12 Likes

Yum! And funny, I almost made this tonight as well from leftover green and coconut chutneys… maybe later in the week.

1 Like

Chicken breast pounded, soaked in buttermilk, coated in Italian bread crumbs, and sauteed in olive oil. Roasted asparagus and wine for sides.

16 Likes

that cake looks amazing!

1 Like