What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

Chicken breast pounded, soaked in buttermilk, coated in Italian bread crumbs, and sauteed in olive oil. Roasted asparagus and wine for sides.

16 Likes

that cake looks amazing!

1 Like

god it’s been EONS since i went to Yank Sing, and it’s like a 5 minute walk from my office!

2 Likes

Looks like the way my Mom iced her cakes! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I enjoy the varied texture of the chewy tripe and the soft potato, and the background of the peanut butter.
Enjoyed with it are the red onions and tomatoes with cilantro and lime juice

2 Likes

I can’t guarantee these are ‘authentic’ but I liked them. I used this sauce: https://cookieandkate.com/2016/enchilada-sauce-recipe/ with whole wheat flour and used better than bullion to make the stock.

Then I sautéed a big onion and 4 cloves of garlic in a pan. Added a pound of ground beef to cook down then a can of drained black beans. Rolled these up in whole wheat tortillas. Covered the whole enchilada (haha) in the sauce and topped with a bit of shredded cheese. Added cilantro, green onion, avocado, tomato and some sour cream with lime.

4 Likes

I checked the manual, and I’m pretty sure it’s the parental torture phase :joy:

4 Likes

I deeply understand this. But, it looks DELICIOUS!

3 Likes

probably, and hard thing is that the parental torture phase tends to recur every few years, interspersed with parental being charmed phase. Sometimes the cycle is days, sometimes years, sometimes hours. That’s what I learned from my son’s book, Guide for Adoptive Parents.

2 Likes

Not sure who’s training who. I was obviously not the best trainer as I was a short order cook when the kids were young. No regrets

4 Likes

Butter chicken with green beans and leeks over cauli rice.

Later I was looking for chocolate and somehow half a Chinese yeasted pork bun fit the bill 🤷

12 Likes

This started as that classic french carrot salad and took a detour- added sunflower seeds for some crunchy and a bunch of edamame with some scallions

I also apparently bought chips. I figure since they’re gluten free and vegan that’s totally the same as corn and therefore fine that i had a crapton with my dinner salad.

Bottling new batch of kombucha earlier- such crazy bubbles! And this is just the first ferment! Not sure why it’s so happy and bubbly lately but I’m very into it. Most are my usual lemon ginger, made a couple with black pepper too- dunno if that’s gonna kill the carbonation during the second ferment though…

8 Likes

Aren’t those blue corn tortilla chips addictive?

1 Like

Chorizo tacos with a bit of griddled pineapple for an al pastor flavor. Cotija cheese, avo, and cilantro/onions/jalapenos on top.

Losing another stalwart in our neighborhood, a little Mexi-Mart that carries a lot of South American products. We shop there 2-3 times a week, it’s our go-to, and I’m more broken up about this than I have been at losing the 90-year old Italian deli. I hate this. :sob:

16 Likes

Skipped dinner tonight as I had a late meal of vietnamese spring rolls and a banh mi at a vietnamese grocery store. So good, and cha gio at the bargain price of 75c each. They also had a compact sugarcane juice machine, so of course I had that. And iced coffee to go, nice jolt of caffeine and sugar.

Earlier in the week, Eastern European filo pies - one filled with lamb, another with feta and eggs, made by a family friend. Like savory baklava.

A riff on Ottolenghi Simple’s beet salad with yogurt and preserved lemon. (The citrus is insane at the moment… there’s a lemon tree, a meter lemon tree, and something that looks like a key lime but is yellow - so I’m trying quick-preserved lemons that take 5 days but we’re actually pretty good on day 2).

And a mismatched but tasty meal of 72-hour chuck roast with horseradish gravy, japanese snow pea salad, and smoky Brussels sprouts with spicy dipping sauce.

And I almost forgot because it was “so long ago” ie over the weekend - South Indian spread at home: idli, dosai, coconut chutney, and a riff on Ottolenghi Simple’s coconut/lentil/tomato soup standing in for sambhar.

Yeah, we are a family of professional eaters :joy:

18 Likes

With my kids, for husband’s birthday, at Press in Napa.

15 Likes

omg it all looks fantastic! that salad… that “baklava”!!

1 Like

Lots of good eats!

1 Like

Lucky birthday boy!

Is it oyster on the first photo? Love the grilled meat and veggies.

1 Like

What a feast! Loved that beet dish!

1 Like