Good nonstick 12" frying pan, simple rice cooker

So which one would u get

Thanks everyone

Full circle back to ceramic. Agree.

1 Like

Greenpan is not bad. It is one of the earlier ceramic pan brands and it has a relatively good coating. However, I am sure others know more and better brand.

2 Likes

For what it worth, Greenpan cookware usually come within the top three recommended brands by cookware reviewers.

Here Epicurious ranks it first.

Good House Keeping put it as best overall.

American Test Kitchen in 2021 also recommended Greenpan as one of the two brands (Greenpan being better, but more expensive).

3 Likes

Thanks !

I have an Oyama (known in the house as Yo Mama) stainless steel rice cooker. It works great but like every other rice cooker I have ever owned it will cause rice to stick to the bottom if you let it run until it shuts itself off. I suspect that is be we round eyes make rice in what to the designers of those appliances would be a ridiculously small amount of rice. I get around the problem by shutting it off when steam starts to come out of it.

1 Like

I own 4 Mauviel M’Stone ceramic pans and they perform very nicely.

They aren’t as durable as my Demeyere Alu Pro non stick pans, but performance wise they are great.

If you totally want to avoid teflon like materials in your pans, my advice is to go the carbon steel pan route.
I own 5 great carbon steel pans and once you learn to season them and make them work for you and not against you, they will become life long ‘friends’ in your kitchen.

However carbon steel pans will probably never be as non stick as real non stick pans, you have to accept that and you have to accept you have to use (lots of) butter/oil to make eggs really non stick in carbon steel pans and on top of this - unless you remove most of the seasoning in your carbon steel pan each time you use it, you risk digesting small pieces of burnt in oil from the seasoning in the carbon steel pan.

I have a hard time believing digesting old burnt in oil seasoning particles can be very healthy - so unfortunately you have to deal with another problem, when using raw cast iron and carbon steel, that needs a thin seasoning layer to stay rust free.

At the temperatures at which eggs are cooked, I would like to see some scientific measurement of the burned on oil. It seems it would be lower than a clad or iron pan used for high heat cooking.

1 Like

Hi Tim,

I agree, but when I use my carbon steel pans - even at low temperatures - some of the old seasoning will flake off and since a seasoning in a carbon steel pan is not a constant thing, but a thing that flakes sometimes in tiny small pieces and other times in bigger pieces, even cooking an egg at low temperature in a seasoned carbon steel pan can cause some of the seasoning to flake off from time to time.

I’ve seen it several times, especially when I turn the egg (i like my egg done on both sides), turning the egg will result in tiny small pieces of the seasoning to come off. I’m not talking a stripping of the seasoning like you would experience with a tomato sauce, but tiny small pieces flaking off and most likely going into your food.

I don’t know of any studies looking in to this - but I can’t think it’s healthy to digest old burnt in carbonised oil on a daily basis, as you will if you use your carbon steel pan daily.

I love my carbon steel pans as well as my non stick/ceramic pans - but I just think there’s an area you need to take into consideration, when people suggest carbon steel/cast iron pans as an alternative to non stick pans. That’s all.

1 Like

Ah, I see. You have build up a pretty thick layer of seasoning and also burned carbon. If you are concern, you can sand down the pan a little – ranging from using gentle salt+oil mixture and plastic scraper to remove these looser burned carbon. Or something more aggressive like green scour pads or sandpaper. I do not mean to sand it down to the bare metal. Just take off some of these burned on carbon pieces.
Of course, you may need to reason the pan a little again.

1 Like

By the way, in my Made In pan review, you can see my older DeBuyer pan (upper right) has burned on crust especially on the side. If I am motivated, I would sand it down a bit later.

1 Like

I agree.

If you keep your carbon steel pan in perfect condition with just a micro thin layer of oil, the amount of seasoning that will come off is only tiny - but it will still flake off from time to time.

Damiano stated in another post, that you could scrape the seasoning off each time you use the pan, but if you like to have a uniform seasoning in your carbon steel pan, this is not an option.

But I also argue, that even the tiny thin oil layer you have in a well seasoned carbon steel will come and go, when you cook food in your carbon steel pan.

You will then build a new seasoning layer, when you cook with the pan - but you still end up eating some of the ultra thin season layer each time you cook and eat food made in your carbon steel pan.

As said I’m not superconserned with this, and I use my carbon steel pans several times weekly - but I do look at this as an issue to be aware of.

Oh yes, but I assume whatever burned carbon on the seasoning pan, there are even more charred and micro-burned on the foods anyway.

1 Like

I agree again.

It might not be a health issue more than the dark crysty delicious stuff you show in that picture - but I’m talking about old burnt in seasoning.

For instance the seasoning on my two Darto pans is now just about a year old, since I got the pans last august. There could very well be micro parts of old burnt in oil in that seasoning layer, and I have a strange idea, that one year old burtn in seasoning is more unhealthy than a crust made from just one sear on a pan - but again I don’t know this for sure.
The seasoning on my two de Buyer Mineral Pro pans is around 2-3 years old now.
Parts of this seasoning have been removed and a new layer added, but some of the old seasning will most likely remain.

I just can’t see it being healthy to get micro parts of a years old seasoning layer into your body - but I have no way of knowing this for a fact, I’m just a bit concerned over this.

The price surge is crazy. It used to be very cheap.

What makes it great in the digital era is that it’s still very analog, just a switch to turn it on.

These are beautiful pans.

But I do wonder does the bottom of the Made In pan have convex up shape like de Buyer?

The center of my stamped CS pan always doesn’t have enough oil covered because of bulge.

I think both Zojirushi and Tiger rice cookers have PTFE coating inside.

Of course PTFE should be really safe at the temperature for cooking rice.

My Made-In pans also have a slight convex on the cooking surface just like my DeBuyer pan.

Thanks.

I think I’ll stick to Yamada pans which don’t have a bulge bottom. I recently ordered a custom one and I still have to wait 3 months to get it.

2 Likes

Hi Claus,

I’m a little bit surprised you have seasoning flaking off and coming into your food… That should never be allowed imho. These bits do not come off when you wash the pan? Or I believe you season after washing?

Maybe ask someone like @Vecchiouomo if the same happens with him?

I see people doing carbon steel seasoning differently. Not saying one is better than the other, but when black bits come into your food that is a clear sign something is off.