Good nonstick 12" frying pan, simple rice cooker

Rice cooker: I bought this one for my parents and they are very happy with it. YumAsia.

Nonstick pan: someone mentioned the Le Creuset. I have the same and it’s wonderful. No maintenance needed. If you can get it for a good price I would recommend. Cheaper options include De Buyer Choc Resto.

1 Like

Well Damiano,

I don’t see black flakes coming off my seasoning.
The seasoning is pretty much dialed in to my CS pans, but unless you’re an unreal alien, a seasoning will come & go in ANY CS pan. You just don’t notice it coming off and being rebuild. But you’ll see the seasoning layer turning darker and darker then at a point where you can’t build more seasoning turning somewhat lighter, which indicates bits of the seasoning has flaked off.
It’s that tiny small seasoning flakes I’m talking about.

1 Like

You mean something like this? Beautiful. Please us know how you like or not like it after. By the way, why do you need to custom one? Are you asking to be to be a specific size?

None here.

1 Like

Well thanks everyone I’ve certainly learned a lot about pans. Wow. The more you know the harder it is to decide. Given the prices of the various options the la creuset 11.5" pan was just a bit higher so given the durability and ratings I think we are gonna get that. Didn’t know there are no great great options in non stick.

Rice cooker next. Will follow up on all the research tips here.

Cheers and happy Sunday to all!

Sticking to the grill today !

1 Like

Wait…what pan is this?

(post deleted by author)

we just got the cast iron one with the coating, not non-stick

(i consulted with the person that will be using this more and this is the one she wanted, and she picked the color)

3 Likes

Great choice! Moderate heat and using wood or silicone utensils will allow you to use this pan daily and pass it on to a future generation. I love cooking in ECI so if you have any questions about it, I’m glad to help.

thanks for all the support @iluvcookies and everyone else - I didn’t know what I was getting into here, I’m a much better eater than cook, or shopper for cookware! The bbq area is more my comfort zone!

1 Like

It is a good pan, but… she knows it is 7 pounds, with a lousy handle, right?

1 Like

Are you talking about enemaled cast iron like this?

Hope so. Every pan seems to have pros and cons and we will hope for the best. We have other frying pans too. Apparently there’s a handle cover thing maybe we will get that. Im glad to be getting her all the intel from here and she wants this one so im pleased. We will see how she likes it. Thanks for all @ScottinPollock

Yes

While the black enamel inner coating of the Le Creuset ECI frying pans most certainly can act a bit non stick, I personally would not call this anything close to a non stick pan.

Did you ever consider the Mauviel M’Stone ceramic series ?
They are true non stick, even though they are ceramic - nothing sticks to these pans (at least that’s my experience with them)

I know and I agree with you. Hey, whatever makes chienrouge wife is happy is good.

3 Likes

I agree on rice in the IP. I use the “pot in pot” method, clean up much easier… See Amy + Jacky website, lots of great IP, Asian recipes… Sorry, don’t mean to hijack this thread :relaxed:

1 Like

Figure i will follow up a few photos of Tatung

Many Tatung rice cookers are still the old design of full stainless steel interior and is based on double layer/double boiler action. Some people swear by this.

5 Likes

Hi Claus,

Strange, I thought this is what you had said.

Just trying to make your carbon steel experience better. But if it’s not a problem to you than it isn’t for me either.

1 Like

I’ve been using the 26cm 2.3mm one for around 4 years now, and it’s the best CS pan I’ve ever used.

I feel the seasoning just attaches to the pan better than my stamped CS. More importantly, bottom of the pan is really flat, and edge is hammered so it has a bit upward curve. Therefore, oil stays at the center of the pan instead of going to the edge, that means less oil is needed to cover the surface. It also helps when reducing sauce.

I prefer to cook oily fish without adding any fat, to do so I preheat the pan very hot, put the fish to the pan skin side up, then “air fry” the fish until the skin is crispy. The toaster oven can’t be fully closed when the frying pan is inside, so I ordered a 28cm 2.3mm paella to solve that.

Took a photo to illustrate my point:

There are some carbon buildups on the edge, but they are not coming down so I don’t bother to remove them.

1 Like