Good nonstick 12" frying pan, simple rice cooker

Beautiful.

Not really… they don’t want PFOA or PTFE, so that leaves, ceramic, enamel, or bare metal. While that leaves ceramic as being the best non-stick choice among them, it is less than true non-stick. Also, its light finish is known to gather complaints when chips/scratches that happen are so visible on the dark base of the pan compared to black/dark finishes which don’t show it.

I have two ceramics… a small, glass lidded skillet I use mostly for eggs and small omelets (and works great if I start out with a little fat - bacon, butter, oil), and a large saute which has a glass lid and a SS fry screen (which I rarely use since getting a clad SS like model). I used to shallow fry in the larger pan because I loved the screen, but I get much more consistent results frying in cast iron (which I can still use the screen on).

While my cast iron is pretty well seasoned, it doesn’t do nearly as good a job with sticky things like eggs/seafood when compared to the ceramic. Even my SS does a better job so long as I manage the heat properly (and use fat).

As for bare/anodized aluminum, I haven’t used one since a huge failure of a Calphalon pan I had (which I tossed), so can’t really comment on that. My recommendation for folks wanting non-stick that don’t want all the chemical crap continues to be ceramic.

Let me challenge you a little. Why do you like Zojirushi over Tiger? Why? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Let’s be honest. Once we eliminated Teflon, then the only nonstick cookware are ceramic. I won’t even call enameled and bare metal as nonstick. I think OP has already stated that carbon steel is not nonstick in his mind. So it has to be ceramic. Anyone knows great ceramic coating cookware? (not like traditional ceramic cookware to be clear)

I’d recommend an Instant Pot for rice cooking. You can make regular white, jasmine, and basmati rice in 4 minutes once it comes up to temp/pressure. Brown and wild rice takes 15 minutes. It is also useful for sooooooooooooooooo many other things.

1 Like

I was thing the oxo one recommend by @iluvcookies and the link

That is a PTFE pan (oxo pan). So you are good with Teflon?

OK… You said…

And then:

…which is a teflon pan.

Sorry, I give up.

1 Like

OP said “just need a real nonstick.”

Ceramic is real non-stick, just not as effective as teflon (which they say they don’t want).

Anyway… I’m out here.

Didn’t know that. Frying pans confusing. Just don’t want that poison crap

Yeah, it’s kind of hard given the very narrow parameters and issues with nonstick surfaces more from the perspective of the user and seemingly not focusing on how the manufacturing process affects the environment. If you do not want Teflon or ceramic but you want nonstick it seems that oil, fat, butter, and ghee are your new best friends. Of course they all present the same problems like terrific browning and superb taste.

1 Like

@chienrouge
To follow up with Scottin’s post. I think it will clarity a lot if you can let us know if you include or exclude Teflon/PTFE pan. Th description of non-poisonous coating does not specifically describe the situation. There are many people consider aluminum, copper and even cast iron cookware to be poisonous.

I think it will help others (and also help you too) if you specify what you want and not want. These days saying I want a non-poisonous pan is like saying I like a beautiful and inspirational pan.

The crap that peels off and causes cancer. Don’t want it. Like older Teflon stuff. Thx.

anything that claims to have a “nonstick” coating is “poison crap” IMO.

I had to get rid of all non-stick in the kitchen when I adopted my parrot. I learned to cook with stainless steel stuff and it was fine aside from cooking eggs. I just had to accept that cleaning pans that I made scrambled eggs in was always going to suck.

I’ve never mastered seasoning a cast iron skillet. I use it for various things–searing meats, cornbread, making pan pizza, etc. but it hasn’t ever been non-stick and probably never will be.

My ex and I were on vacation in a condo in Mexico that had a nonstick skillet and I was like a kid on Christmas making our breakfast eggs because I had forgotten how easy and great it is. Still didn’t make me want to go back to nonstick, though. I don’t trust the chemicals.

1 Like

so basically any nonstick coating

(post deleted by author)

I like the fact that if you look hard enough… ceramic cookware are also toxic and dangerous.

1 Like

Ok… back in for this post.

Skip non-stick teflon, especially at high temperatures. If you need to have non-stick, ceramic is safest.

If you wish to avoid as much risk as possible, use SS, CS, or CI, and use healthy fats (coconut, avocado, olive).

3 Likes

agree. I use a stainless steel set and have cast iron pans for some things but never for anything I’d want to cook “non-stick”