Gazpacho

I crazy loved being able to buy gazpacho by the carton in spain! My last trip it was in november and i still was buying and loving it. Different brand though. Really wish this was widely available here in the US

3 Likes

Another batch, with mostly yellow and orange tomatoes, and some orange juice. Reflecting a Bon Appetite recipe.

Yellow Gazpacho

I topped with a few grapes I picked. I want to try grape gazpacho.

5 Likes

Did you grow all of those tomatoes? They are gorgeous!!

1 Like

I did and thank you. I grew the grapes too, but I don’t get much of those.

1 Like

It’s time!

1 Like

On my list for this week. A good chance to practice knife work.

1 Like

@shrinkrap More framable art

9 Likes

Nice picture

So far today

From

…but riper. There’s some hoarded garlic scapes in there.

Also NY Times, and I assume behind a paywall, but I want to park it here because it answers some of my questions about gazpacho minus the bread.

vs

…which seems to be saying bread is important. Maybe there’s a link to buy bread grin.

Also, the old straining vs not straining conundrum.

1 Like

I never add bread to my gazpacho, primarily because we don’t have the same quality bread like in Spain. Even if I were to splurge for a good loaf from a nice bakery, it would offend my sensibilities to let it go stale just for gazpacho. I just leave my gazpacho slightly chunky for extra texture – I much prefer small sized chunks rather than a smooth gazpacho.

To respond to your question in the garden thread - I’ve never had shishito peppers raw. I should try biting into one of mine and try. :sweat_smile: I read on a web site that they should be mildly sweet when raw, so I would think this might be a nice add to a gazpacho. The shishitos are so small, and the skin has a leathery like texture (i.e., not very thick, wrinkly). I wonder if you might need to add a lot of them to get any flavor punch, with a bonus chance of a little heat.

1 Like

We had our first batch last week. And made our crotouns with TJ Everything But the Bagel spice. Made a nice crunchy addition.

2 Likes

Good points! I’d forgotten that they are usually cooked first.

I agree on not adding bread to gaspacho. I prefer to offer olive oil fried croutons with gaspacho. Or without gaspacho.

1 Like

Thanks all! I’m skipping the bread. Anyone want to weigh in on seiving? I bought new strainers last year, but still feel uncertain about tossing the fiber, especially this early in the season.

1 Like

Hmmmm…my tomato and cucumber garnish dropped to the bottom, but the texture is just the way I like it.

2 Likes

Hmmm…canned tomatoes, roasted peppers, and walnuts. :thinking:

1 Like

What We Mean By: Medium or Fine Sieve

Anybody making gazpacho yet? Started my first batch today.

We had it over the weekend, a NYT recipe. Was very good, with a flatbread made with left over tian.

1 Like

Still waiting for my tomatoes to ripen. :unamused:

I might just have to suck it up and but some heirloom tomatoes instead.