Gazpacho

The tomatoes are in. Nineteen plants all working very hard to produce fruit and succeeding. For me, this means gazpacho!

I have been using the recipe as my template, substituting a French shallot for the onion. And using whatever pepper is in the fridge which is never an Anaheim.

Please, what is your favorite tomato version?

5 Likes

Nothing wrong with that recipe. I do much the same but wing it as usual.

Often I like some small diced veg in the soup, sometimes pure purée

2 Likes

I too wing it, but start the gazpacho season referring to this formula just to remind myself about the proportions. And then it is about what I have on hand. I am not a chunky person, though I have certainly eaten it that way. I like to blend it, sometimes I strain, and drink it from a glass.

2 Likes

I love this one-

1 Like

At one point i started with this recipe
http://www.joseandres.com/en_us/news/news/view/18/cook/gazpacho

But i really don’t like green bell pepper, and i don’t recall that flavor in any of the (many many!) gazpacho i had in spain. I use 1 1/2 good size cucumbers, and i don’t ever have “Oloroso sherry” around but i discovered long ago that v8 in gazpacho is magical. So i use about 8-12 oz of original v8. No water. No added tomato juice. And i use a lot less olive oil, maybe 1/4c or so.
Sooooo, yeah, nothing like that recipe at all.

If i want to have it as a big bowl with some bread for a meal i leave it kind of chunky with some texture. (Or more likely i’ll add some bread and blitz til crramy for salmorejo as a meal style soup)
But if it will be an appetizer or for other people i blend it more smooth. No sieve is involved at any point. I might garnish with a little more oil and some chopped yellow tomato and chives for company. It seems tomatoes can be very inconsistent so i always have to taste and adjust the salt/vinegar.

4 Likes

@Ttrockwood. I hate green pepper [well, the bell kind] and it has no place in a Gazpacho!

Made my first gazpacho of the season with just over a pound of tomatoes. Of note, I like far more sherry vinegar that the NYTimes recipe and much less olive oil.

I like to sprinkle the top of my glass [yea, I drink it in a glass] with some Malden salt.

The leaves in northern NH are changing, but it is finally tomato season. Time to enjoy our short-lived harvest time.

3 Likes

I’m not interested in subscribing to any thing put out by the NY Times, so was unable to view the recipe.

Suggest you repost without the need to do that.

1 Like

My recipe is a blender version.

To about a half a chopped peeled cucumber I add one chopped Portuguese, Serrano or jalapeno pepper with seeds, three roughly chopped green onions with the bulbs, two big smashed cloves of garlic, an ounce or two of good EVO, a teaspoon of red wine vinegar and a smidge of tomato paste. Run blender on slow to integrate. Fill the rest of the blender with fresh chopped tomatoes, add sea salt to taste and blend till smooth.

Refrigerate till cooled, pour into glasses and serve.

I too do not like the taste of bell pepper in gazpacho, but I like the extra zip that a hot pepper adds. If you don’t have tomato paste handy, you can add a half teaspoon of sugar instead.

3 Likes

I don’t know how to bypass the NYTimes paywall, so I am simply posting the ingredients from the recipe:

About 2 pounds ripe red tomatoes, cored and roughly cut into chunks
1 Italian frying (cubanelle) pepper or another long, light green pepper, such as Anaheim, cored, seeded and roughly cut into chunks
1 cucumber, about 8 inches long, peeled and roughly cut into chunks
1 small mild onion (white or red), peeled and roughly cut into chunks
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons sherry vinegar, more to taste
Salt
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, more to taste, plus more for drizzling

8 Likes

If you own one, you might want to consider using the grinder attachment for a stand mixer instead of a blender or food processor. It creates a uniform chunky texture.

Thank you.

Not a big fan of the sherry vinegar in gazpacho, but I do like it in salad dressings. A very little good red wine vinegar does it for me.

Otherwise I would say their recipe and mine are pretty similar except for the zippy pepper, and tomato paste or sugar.

If you think of the four tastes, in any dish you want to balance sharp, sweet, salt and bitter.

So I like the extra zip.

And I find the tomato paste adds a little depth of tomato and sweetness to the dish, without overpowering if used in moderation.

I got this trick from making salsa, since the ingredients are pretty similar and tomato paste is a useful adjunct to thicken tomato based salsas.

2 Likes

I like smooth since I usually serve gazpacho as a drink this in glasses rather than using a spoon.

I, on the other hand, love the sherry vinegar in this dish. In fact, I put the bottle on the table so I can add the amount that I want, which seems to be more than other people enjoy. My tomatoes doesn’t need any sugar. They are very sweet naturally.

6 Likes

Just made this. So far so .

While we’ve always loved gaspacho, we got hooked on a commercial product in France. Made in Spain by, of all people, Tropicana, a company I’m not fond of. But we buy this is pints, grab a pot of rillette and a baguette, a little white wine and enjoy a super and super cheap lunch in our room or a park.
45%20AM
Going simply by the list of ingredients, we accomplish a pretty good copy at home. Tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber, sweet onion, kiss of garlic, sherry vinegar, EVOO in a blender. This is drinking soup but can be bowled with chopped garnish and croutons if you want to be elegant. In fact, am heading to make a batch at this moment.

4 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how to build on what I harvest each day. I like the Serious Eats recipe that has you “let things sit”, although I’m skipping the bread.

Andalusian Gazpacho Recipe

So I may harvest one tomato or two one day, and maybe a cubanelle, and I want to “let it sit” until I have enough to make a batch. Maybe 48 hours, in the refrigerator. Any thoughts about what inrgedients (tomato, onion, “green” pepper, cucumber, garlic) are okay to sit, and which are not?

And

Both excellent. Sieving seems fussy, but it’s totally worth it.

1 Like

Thank you, and I agree! Making another batch, and am using sherry vinegar from last year’s trip to Spain, and this year’s tomatoes, cubanelle peppers, and shallots.

I’m going to try the smoked one next time.

2 Likes

Sounds delish!

I am suddenly wondering about my strainers, and which one is “medium”. I think I’ve been using a “fine” one.

Found Industry Eats while researching. Maybe I’ll post it on media.