What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

Clam Pie

8 Likes

Pretty good visit with Mom. Then various errands.

I’ve started some overnight crockpot chicken stock that will end up in the freezer and some family cooking. It’s gonna be a chickeny weekend.

Dinner is decidedly non-summery, but will also work for some small heat-and-eat meals for my sister and BIL as well.

Chicken Stroganoff on top of leftover pappardelle with corn and peas alongside.

Wine.

10 Likes

It was time consuming especially although it is not difficult if you have a method.
I processed. my tomatoes by coring, placing an x on the bottom, lowered into boiling water for a minute or less, then ice bath and skin just peel off. However, I feel that texture is fine without peeling and less watery . The extra work made my kitchen floor dirtier. Had to steam clean them today.
Anyway, I invited my new neighbors over for early dinner, used the tomato, the charred sweet pepper, also Also added bursting cherry tomatoes stir fried with EVOO , garlic and herbs, , caramelized onion and shishito peppers stir fried until they blistered, assembled on a puff pastry shell which I prebaked with 4 kinds of cheese and a quarter cup of mayonnaise on top. It was a hit!!! I am sorry I forgot to take picture as I had just met them for th e first time and did not want to explain why I am taking pictures. Also offered red wine but they declined.

3 Likes

Fresh mozzarella

Chicken thighs slowly sauteed with potatoes and rosemary, sauteed zucchini

7 Likes

We had an excellent dinner at Drew’s Bayshore Bistro in Keyport. Below is a link to the details and pictures.

4 Likes

“Ok, I decided to follow instructions for Nigel’s tomato.”

Good for you @ccj! I copped out.

More gazpacho. In progress.

Gazpacho thread

With a few grapes I I picked today. Maybe 20 years, two vines for this handful.

3 Likes

That is the method I’ve always used for peeling tomatoes.I don’t recall feeling it was that time consuming. I didn’t feel it made the tomatoes watery - they drained in a fine mesh collander once removed from the ice bath & prior to peeling them.

I think the skin of the tomatoes available was tougher in the past. Todays tomatoes have tender enough skin that I seldom feel the need to peel them. Oddly enough, I find tough skin on cherry tomatoes much more often than on other varieties. There is no way I would skin a quantity of chery tomatoes!

3 Likes

That IS hot!

1 Like

Smoked haddock from the local smokehouse is going into kedgeree.

It’s originally an Anglo-Indian dish which found its way on to the middle/upper class British breakfast table in the 19th century. Now, of course, firmly a dinner dish.

4 Likes

Two dozen meatballs from a mix of ground chuck 80/20, sweet and hot sausage (taken out of their casings) fortified with Italian bread crumbs, eggs, garlic, onion powder, s&p. It was then roasted in the oven @375 degrees for 30 minutes and then into the pot of fresh cut up tomatoes (from my neighbor’s garden).

Sauce with lots of chopped garlic, red and yellow onion, fresh basil, oregano, turmeric, red pepper flakes S&P, rinds saved from my chunk of Parmigiano.
The meatballs are now cooking in the sauce and will probably be WFD tonight.

I really do like roasting the meatballs in the oven first, and you can see from the picture most of the bad fat is cooked off and captured, eliminating it from the sauce.

12 Likes

That looks great @PHREDDY! Thanks for making extra meatballs for me & Mrs. P :grinning: What time is dinner :wink:

4 Likes

That looks and sounds so good!

Turmeric is new to me in this context - how did it make its way in there? Family recipe? Your own twist? Sub for saffron?

1 Like

that is a large quantity to process. True, my home grown tomatoes skin are very thin but I find that if I drop them in ice bath, the skinning has to be almost immediately as if I wait , they are more difficult to slip off. It was really messy as I found the tiles wet and had to steam them . I will not go thru that process again.

I love tomato pie. Another idea is to coat the bottom of the crust with a strong French mustard. If you like mustard, it adds a really nice taste.

2 Likes

I often use a little turmeric as a sub for saffron when I’m looking more for colour than flavour. In Spain, you can buy little sachets of powdered corn that does the same colouring job at a fraction of the price. Must get some more next trip.

2 Likes

I am not much a mustard , have 2 jars, a grey poupon and a Maile’s grain mustard. They are only there if guest wants it. I found the technique of lacing cheese and laying over the crust, baking it for a few minutes helps with a soggy crust. The puff pastry sheet that I used yesterday turned out great. I precooked the puff pastry sheets at 400 deg with some pie crust marble for 20 minutes, took it out, laid some cheese and back to oven for 5 minutes, let it cool and assembled my tomatoes etc. The crust was not soggy at all!

Nigel’s preserved tomatoes?

Maybe they will set up a bit.

11 Likes

Yep, that’s pretty much how they look, although his recipe calls for the toms to be deseeded.

Have to say, they worked really well as a dressing for green beans.

2 Likes

I sorta attempted to take the seeds out. From the cherry toms, I used a fondue fork. Now THAT’S fiddly!

“Have to say, they worked really well as a dressing for green beans.”

Can’t hardly wait!

1 Like

I did not use my cherry tomato in Nigel’s recipe , rather, I cooked the cherry tomatoes separately in a wok with EVOP, garlic and herbs tis they burst
I do not mind their seeds,
Making use of the large oven capacity, I also charred some sweet peppers,added herbs, and place it in the oven for 45 min
Then, I assembled everything made my pie using puff pastry shell.
Sorry I did not take picture
Guests were new neighbors,met for the first time.I did not want to explain about HO and picture taking.
They loved the pie O also added caramelized onions and wok blistered shishito peppers to these aside from 4 kinds of cheese

2 Likes