"Frost-Free" Refrigerators

It looks like both of your fridges died of bad compressors.

The first one based one what you said (not sure how you reached that conclusion, however).

The second one, based on your description, it sounds like to me it is another compressor problem.

Two fridges, two bad compressors?

Conincidence? Perhaps.

Or perhaps there is a voltage surge in that outlet where you plug your refrigerators in the kitchen, or in that part of the electrical bank of your house. Have you checked the outlet to make sure it is not experiencing power surges that may be frying your compressor board and motor?

Good luck.

I have been searching for a refrigerator for years. I am not a fan of current designs but I know my current kitchenaid is not long for this world. I keep reading over and over again not to buy a LG. Even the sales guy at Lowes told me not to buy one. For one thing, in our area there is only one or two people who will service them. Apparently, they are very busy and hard to book. Consumer reports rates them high but the compressor seems to be the main issue. I’m leaning toward getting a Frigidare at this point.

I’ll check it out… Thanks.

Some years ago, the beer fridge was plugged into that outlet (when I first moved in), but was banished to the garage for a stainless steel replacement that matched the rest of the appliances. I really don’t know how it is still running, but it is. Its an old Hotpoint (white), kind of ugly… but it works.

Yes… I was doing research and saw that Consumer Reports rated them high and that the compressor issue had been resolved. I usually try to consult Consumer Reports when making a big purchase. In the past, I’ve usually done pretty good with their recommendations.
It is possible I got a fridge that was made on Friday afternoon right at quitting time (LOL).
Sunshine and I just got back from Home Depot and LG did approve a replacement. We have to call tomorrow and schedule the delivery. Fingers crossed the next one will be OK.

1 Like

I was told the same thing about LGs by the owner of the appliance store I got my next -to-last last fridge from. LGs are very difficult to get parts and service for. I got a KitchenAid, and that lasted 2 years. Then I got a Bosch, because that was all that was immediately available in the configuration that would fit in my kitchen. Not ideal, but so far it’s still functioning. I got an extended warranty. A good idea these days.

If only some of you had paid more attention to this thread:

1 Like

Sure, definite possibility. I would think that the marketing advantage of merely claiming there is an integral surge suppressor/voltage regulator would sell a lot of fridges…

Just an update… A replacement fridge is supposed to be delivered on Saturday… we’ll see.
I was given the option of purchasing an extended warranty when I made my initial purchase and turned it down. I have since received an e-mail offering that same extended warranty. I’m going to go ahead and buy it… After dealing with this situation, I think this might be a wise investment.

3 Likes

Did you purchase the refrigerator using a credit card?

If so, I would check the terms of your credit card issuer to see if they provide, as a default, extended warranties on certain purchases. Some do. Read the fine print.

Also, do you have a home warranty (not insurance, but warranty)? If so, that should cover the cost of replacement/repair of a refrigerator. As always, read the fine print.

Good luck.

This might be behind a firewall but it is a good read on refrigerator.

2 Likes

Sounds pretty familiar. Many years ago I had a Kenmore gas dryer that would no longer heat. Based on advice from DIY type websites with repair guys willing to help out regular homeowners, it was either the main board or one of the relays. Sears wanted more for the main board than the entire dryer cost new. I found it on repairclinic.com for about 10% of the price Sears wanted. The relays were similarly stoopid priced, too. (I don’t think Amazon carried much in the way or spare parts back then, but I could be misremembering.)

I ordered both parts from the repairclinic website because I didn’t want to serially troubleshoot and when it turned out to be the relay, they permitted me to return the main board for free with full refund.

1 Like

I used to think extended warranties were unnecessary. After losing a fridge @ 2.5 years, I now think they are a good idea. Got one with my new fridge.

Yes… you are correct.
I just feel better knowing I extended the warranty on this refrigerator.
I read through the extended contract and it was quite explicit… no hidden fees or costs, no extra charges, all parts and labor are covered.

1 Like

Yes… and that is my bottom line “safety net” if all else fails.
I am hopeful that the next one will work just fine.

Thank you… this was an interesting read.

1 Like

Yeah I go back and forth on this topic. Basically it’s the choice to more or less “self-insure” if you decline the EW.

My problem is that the warranties tend to be ~ 15% of the retail price of a larger gadget like a $1400-2000 fridge, and upwards of 25% of the price of something cheaper like a $400 dishwasher (these are both from a quick peek at HomeDepot products).

In my head these sorts of warranties should be more like 5% of the gadget cost, and I’d think (but don’t know) the insurer would still get some profit[1] off the plan. So in the end I pass on them and hope for the best.

[1] Allstate’s last annual report touted great results from the Protection Plan services.

The best refrigerators were the old refrigerators. We just had to replace a 1950’s Hotpoint at our lake cabin. So sad to see it go. We did replace it with a smaller 16 GE that looks like the “beer fridge” in the garage, also a GE from 1978. Keeping my fingers crossed!

1 Like

I never buy these kinds of warranties but was considering for refrigerator purchase since they all seem to have problems these days. I noticed that some in store ones like Lowes also give you 50% off cosmetic replacement parts and water filters. Of course, you have to file a claim to get the % back which after reading reviews of service plans might not be as easy as they make it sound. Time is more valuable to me than wasting it talking to customer service. I don’t see myself going to much trouble for a water filter. Especially since one can probably buy cheaper ones than the brand specific one Lowes will sell but it is something to consider when deciding to buy a plan.

The thing is, if you buy say a 3 year one they start on day one of ownership. Most appliances come with at least one year worth right? So really you are only getting 2 years worth of coverage. I doubt I will end up buying a plan. Take my chances.

The replacement refrigerator arrived Saturday morning. I ran it with just a fridge analog thermometer in it for 24 hours… no problems. This new one held its temperature and had no growling or grinding sound.
So this morning we moved our food from the garage “beer fridge” into the new one… Fingers crossed!!

2 Likes

I never bought an extended warranty before this last fridge purchase. I was skeptical of them. That the fridge I replaced only lasted 2.5 years, and had already had 2 warranty service calls, made me give up and get the warranty. Yes, the old fridge came with a 1 year warranty. I thin, I’m not sure, my extended warranty has a rebate if I get rid of the fridge before the end of the warranty.